Friday, December 21, 2012

Advent Week III - Friday Thoughts - 12/21/2012

Friends, today is a road trip to Indianapolis for Christmas with most of my family. I am leaving early and it will be a long day of travel. Hopefully I will pass through the storm quickly and the roads will not be too bad. I ask your prayers for my journey...

Daily Thought: I don't think I would express my journey today in the same way as the writer of the Song of Songs express his today. Not that I don't love my family but today's first reading is that of a journey of lovers. You can hear and feel the emotion. You can also hear and feel the emotion in Mary and Elizabeth's exchange today as Mary goes to Elizabeth during the months of their pregnancies. Emotion plays an important role in our relationship with God also.

I can remember the times when my emotions were overwhelmed by the presence of God. Sometimes it was during important events in my life, my confirmation, my first profession, my ordination, my first mass, the death of my father and mother, the death of a good friend. However, sometimes it was simple moments that turned into spiritual moments, and encounter with nature, time with a friend, a quiet moment of prayer, a walk in the country. Emotion is an important part of connecting with God.  Christmas can be a time of emotions, let us pray today that like Mary, Elizabeth and the writer of the Song of Songs our emotions will bring us closer to God this Christmas Season and always!

Daily Prayer: O God of all kindness, hear our prayers today as we rejoice at the sound of your voice in our lives. Helps us to embrace your love as we are touched by it in the living of life.  We also continue to pray for families in grief; for little ones whose lives were too short; for teachers, administrators and responders who put others first; for a community that must find a way to live; for all of us who seek a world of lasting peace! For we believe that what You have spoken to us will be fulfilled! Amen!

Runner's Thought: As we run today let us run with love and joy giving thanks with every stride, with every step. There are no shortcuts but nothing is given us we cannot conquer with God running with us!

Have a great Friday everyone and if you are traveling, travel safe! Peace in Christ's Passion...Fr. Paul 

No comments:

Post a Comment