Thursday, January 3, 2013

January 3rd Daily Thoughts - 01/03/2013

Daily Thoughts: Today we celebrate the feast of The Most Holy Name of Jesus and our scriptures, especially our Gospel, once again focus us on our relationship with Jesus. What might we take always from the celebration of this feast and our scriptures today?

For me the focus today is on the Name of Jesus. I have always found a name to be important. I am very proud to be named after my father and I think one of my sadness's of life is that I never had the chance to continue the tradition and name a son, Paul Raymond. I also struggle with names, especially remembering the names of people that I have met. I am in awe of people who can and do remember names. Names identify people, names honor people, names define people and place people in the context of history and life.

I have always wondered why over the centuries Jesus' name became such a focal point of disrespect. Often when I lead young people in an examination of conscience before the Sacrament of Reconciliation I will talk about how our words often hurt. I ask those present this, "How would we like it if every time something went wrong, every time someone got angry, every time someone expressed anger, they would use our name?" The answer is always a universal, "I would not like it at all!" Yet, isn't that what we do with Jesus, with God? Why is that? What causes us to say "God dammit!" or "Jesus Christ!" with anger and disrespect?

As I said yesterday if we know ourselves we have a better chance of knowing God. If we respect ourselves we have a much better chance of respecting God and others! I am sure all of us value our name. It is important to us to be respected for who we are. It is important for us to be known by our name. It is important for our name not to be disrespected. Likewise it is important for God, for Jesus to be respected too! As we live this day let's make a conscious effort to honor, respect and cherish The Name of Jesus! When we use it let us use it to grace life with hope and love not fill it with anger!

Every morning and evening I begin prayer in the Passionist tradition by praying, "At the name of Jesus every knee must bend in heaven, on earth and under the earth and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God, the Father." It keeps me focused, perhaps it can for you too!

Daily Prayer: Eternal God, we pray this day that at the name of your loving Son Jesus every knee must bend in heaven, on earth and under the earth and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of you our God, and Father. Help us always to honor your names and in speaking them bring your grace, hope, love and not anger to our world! In the name of Jesus we continue to pray for families in grief; for little ones whose lives were too short; for teachers, administrators and responders who put others first; for a community that must find a way to live; for all of us who seek a world of lasting peace! That one day we will all be called God's children...Amen!

Runner's Thought: If you run in the cold today think of it as not an obstacle but as an energy, a grace enlivening you and sending you forward!

It is cold, but the sun is shining here in Pelham this morning. I hope wherever you are the sun is shining and this day will be blessed with many good people, good experiences and much love. Peace in Christ's Passion...Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment