Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Daily Lenten Thoughts - 02/26/2013

Daily Thoughts: Now I have to admit to you that I struggle every time I hear or read today's Gospel. The images that Jesus uses to talk about the religious leadership of his time seem all too familiar and being a part of the leadership of our Church I wonder about myself.

I think of the scandals and struggles of the Church today and wonder if the very pitfalls that Jesus points out about the leadership of his day are not alive and well in the leadership of the Church today. Let's remember that the scribes and Pharisees of Jesus' day were good people for the most part. They were doing what they thought they were supposed to do. However they were caught up in a religious leadership culture that had developed over centuries. They thought they were doing the right thing. Many in religious leadership today are good people doing what they think is right, caught up in the leadership culture that has developed over centuries. But like Jesus' time does that make it right and life giving?

For me whether you are part of the religious leadership of today or not the challenge of the Gospel today is that of being a humble servant. Throughout my life and ministry as a priest I have always imaged myself as a servant and a shepherd. Those are the two images that make the most sense to me for who I am and how I am supposed to live. I work at trying to be a humble person but I am not always successful. What always brings me back to reality when I get too full of myself is that I am a servant nothing more.

Too often today we see people in leadership who feel entitled, who look for the places of honor, who seek out titles, who do place burdens on others without any thought of helping. They become people who are distant, at times unapproachable and certainly not shepherds or servants!

Perhaps our task today in to pray for leadership, especially within our Church that they - we might find the virtues of servant and shepherd once again. That they - we might take to hearts the words of Jesus and seek to be humble servants who learn to do good again!

Daily Prayer: Loving God, we pray today not just for ourselves but also for those who lead us. Give us and all in leadership the wisdom to see the value of humility and service. Help us to overcome the desires of entitlement, power, influence and status. Grant us the grace to be compassionate, hope filled and loving servants and shepherds. Guide us with your love so that everything we do will show the saving power of God. Amen!

Runners' Thought: A runner who embarks on the journey of prayer and running can expect surprises, missteps, and perhaps great leaps toward a relationship with God! So as you run never underestimate the power of dreams, the influence of the human spirit and the presence of God!

Greetings to all on this final Tuesday in February, I hope your day has started off well and that it will continue to be a good day for you. If it has not I pray that it will only get better. The first day of the mission went very well. Corpus Christi Parish has a great spirit and we had over 300 people between the two services yesterday. I ask your continued prayers for the faith community and the preacher. Once again I ask God to bless your day and whatever you will be doing. May today truly be a day rich in the presence of God for you, your loved ones and for everyone you meet! Peace in Christ's Passion...Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment