Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Daily Lenten Thoughts - 03/12/2013

Daily Thoughts: I have a few disjointed thoughts this morning. First there is a one striking thing about today's Gospel for me; it is the fact that the man whom Jesus approaches is alone. He says he has no one to help him. No one to get him to the water, he finds himself alone unable to get to the waters of life. How often do we feel alone in life. We have that feeling that we are out there on a limb by ourselves. There is no one to help, no one to lean on, and no one to help us get to where we want to go. Like the man in the gospel today we can be surrounded by a world of people and yet still feel alone.

In those moments perhaps it is only God who makes the difference. We perhaps are not dramatically healed as the man in the story but when we let God enter our life, life does become better. We encounter the gifts of life; we get places that seemed impossible to get to before. With God in our life being part of the world, be a part of the community is not only possible it happens.

Another aspect of our readings today is the element of water. Ezekiel and the man in the Gospel encounter the healing power of water. They are each aware of its importance in for life. They each become aware of the presence of God in life that water represents.

Our readings today remind us of the value of God's presence in our lives. God's presence never leaves us to face life alone. God's presence is life giving, refreshing and life sustaining. As the verse for the responsorial psalm says, God is with us and God is our stronghold our support.

As we live this day let us be aware of the many ways that God enters our life. Let us be aware of the many ways in which God does not leave us alone and the many ways God sustains and refreshes our life. Let us be thankful and not fear because is ever with us and will never leave us to face life alone!

Daily Lenten Prayer: My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart for that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it. Therefore I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.  From Thomas Merton --- Thoughts in Solitude

Runner's Thought: Perhaps as we run today we too should choose the road less traveled: the road of awareness as we run, the road of revelation as we run, the road of intention as we run, the road of mindfulness as we run, the road of imagination as we run, the road of prayer as we run. Today let's pick a road we have not traveled lately and let it make a difference in our life today!

Happy Beginning of the Conclave Day everyone! For those of you who are not Catholic and are tired of all this Catholic news take comfort in the fact that it will soon be over. Now if you don't hear from me over the next few days then it probably means I have been called to Rome. I will be keeping my cellphone with me at all times these days because you never know when they might listen to the Holy Spirit and thus be giving me a call. For all of you that might find my elevation to pope problematic no worries the Pittsburgh Pirates will win a World Series long before that ever happens! I am not on the cardinal's radar, none of them even know my name so you can rest easy world!

It is an exciting time though and we should keep the cardinals in our prayers as they try to discern the Holy Spirit's promptings and find a person who can lead the Church at this time in history. I pray for a pope open to the spirit of a God, a true shepherd and servant who cares about all people! I pray that the cardinals will find such a person.

I hope your Tuesday is starting out ok. We had a nice opening to the mission here at Immaculate Conception Parish both in the morning and evening. I am looking forward to the second day as it will begin in just about an hour. There is a good spirit here and we are truly walking by faith these days!

I pray for blessings upon your today where ever you are and whatever you will be doing. May today be a productive and peaceful one for you. May today be rich in the presence of God and may that presence help you to know that even in the most difficult times of struggle that you are not alone. Peace in Christ's Passion...Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment