Monday, July 1, 2013

Daily Thoughts - 07/01/2013

Daily Thoughts: I ran across a quote by the English theologian Austin Farrer, many years ago that I use in my prayer from time to time.  Farrer said or wrote, “God forgives me, for he takes my head between his hands and turns my face to his to make me smile at him. And though I struggle and hurt those hands – for they are human, though divine, human and scarred with nails – though I hurt them, they do not let go until he has smiled me into smiling; and that is the forgiveness of God.”

I turned to these words today as I was thinking about the first reading at mass from the Book of Genesis (Gen 18: 16-33). Perhaps this story about Abraham’s bargaining with God to save the people of Sodom and Gomorrah like Farrer’s words is a way to talk about or explain the forgiveness, compassion and love of God. Whether we image it as our idea, Abraham bargaining with God, persuading God not destroy the two cities or the intimate image of God hold us in his hands the point remains the same, God is a loving, caring and forgiving God.

There is human side to the story of Abraham’s bargaining, it is a place we all have been. Perhaps not in the same way but at some point all of us have done a little bargaining, a little negotiating with God. The scene has a little comedy in it to with Abraham and God going back and forth. I am reminded of Bill Cosby’s famous Noah routine. You might say the story can put a little smile on our face!

Farrer’s image speaks to the personal side of our relationship with God. In his words we can almost feel Jesus holding us, holding us so tenderly and lovingly that in the end we have to smile. At first it is an uncomfortable smile as we think about how often we have hurt, disappointed or turned away from him. However, in his hands all is well, all is forgiven and all are loved.

So today we can chuckle at Abraham’s persistence and we can feel God embrace but most importantly we need to smile!

Daily Prayer:
Gentle and loving God,
  we place before you today our worries,
  all the hurts, struggles, fears, faults and failings of our hearts.
They burden us cluttering our hearts and at times making us hopeless souls.
Life becomes heavy; a frown is sometimes the only thing we can muster.

Reach out to us, O compassionate One.

Hold us in your hands. Smile on us,
  because we believe your gentle smile
  works miracles, heals and brings hope
  when all seems hopeless.

Remind us that you never give up
  and breath into us the spirit and power of your smile,
  so that we can share it with everyone we meet.
Smile on us today, O God. Amen!

Runner’s Thought: Remember, let’s not run as if God is waiting for us at the finish line. Rather let’s run with the sense that each step takes us closer to realizing the presence of God, the grace of God that is with us already. (Adapted from Roger Joslin – Running the Spiritual Path)

Happy July everyone! Oh yea, happy Monday too! I hope your weekend was a good one. This will be a short week with the Fourth of July on Thursday which I am sure will be made into a long weekend by many. I hope it will be a productive week for everyone, one filled with many blessings.

If things are a struggle at this time in your life I pray in a special way that God will send a little smile your way. To my nephew-in-law, Jurek, I hope you are getting your tooth looked at today?

If you are interested one of the Passionists that I live with, Fr. Jim O’Shea, C.P. will be appearing on CNN this evening between 7 and 8 pm. Fr. Jim wrote an article for the Huffington Post called “All the Good People.” He will be on CNN tonight discussing it with Don Lemon and others. If you would like to read the article follow the link http://www.huffingtonpost.com/father-jim-oshea-cp/all-the-good-people_b_3519241.html?utm_hp_ref=religion

Have a great Monday everyone and many blessings today and always! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment