Monday, July 29, 2013

Daily Thoughts - 07/29/2013

Daily Thoughts: “You do not need to know precisely what is happening, or exactly where it is all going. What you need is to recognize the possibilities and challenges offered by the present moment, and to embrace them with courage, faith and hope.” (Thomas Merton) I thought of these words by Merton today as I celebrated mass on this Feast of St. Martha. I think Martha fits these words well.

In the Gospel reading (John 11:19-27) we see a different side of Martha than the one in Luke (10:38-42). It is as if Martha has grown in her faith, her relationship with God and in her understanding of her friendship with Christ. In John, Martha is a faith filled woman, who does not fully understand but recognizes the possibilities and challenges and embraces them with courage, faith and hope. She seeks God in the present moment and in the end is greatly blessed.

We all need to pause and allow the gift of St. Martha’s spirit to enliven our own spirits today. May the spirit of St. Martha gifted us with the courage, faith and hope to live this day ready to recognize the possibilities and challenges and embrace them with the grace of God’s love.

Happy Feast of St. Martha everyone!

Daily Prayer: Loving God, you have promised to remain forever with those who do what is just and right.  Help us to live in your presence this day and always. Help us to live Jesus’ commandment of love and bring your peace and joy to others.  Keep us ever mindful of the wisdom and love you have made known in Christ. Grace us with the courage, faith and hope to make your presence known though our words and actions. Amen!

Runner’s Thought: “...there was some kind of connection between the capacity to love and the capacity to love *running*. The engineering was certainly the same: both depended on loosening your grip on your own desires, putting aside what you wanted and appreciating what you've got, being patient and forgiving and... undemanding...maybe we shouldn't be surprised that getting better at one could make you better at the other.”  (Christopher McDougall, Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen)

Monday greetings to everyone! I hope everyone had a great weekend and that it was filled with laughter, fun, good friends and family. I also hope it provide a little rest and relaxation perhaps even a little quiet time in your life.

I returned from Scranton on Saturday and unfortunately did not get to do my long training run in Central Park on Saturday morning. Friday was a long day and I would not have been able to leave Scranton until around 10 pm thus I would not have gotten home until 12:30 or 1 am. Getting up at 5:00 am to get into the city by 6:30 am just didn’t seem doable so I decided to get a good night’s rest and return home Saturday morning. I hope to make up the long run on my own sometime this week.

I have to share with you that yesterday, Sunday, I was able to cross off an item on my “bucket list.” I made the front page of a newspaper and there was a story about me in the sports section and it wasn’t for something I did wrong, how great is that! Now it was not the New York Times or the Boston Globe or the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. My picture was on the front page and a short story about me appeared in the sports section of “The Republic,” the newspaper in Columbus, Indiana. (No I was not arrested or caught using PEDs.) I will be running the inaugural Mill Race Marathon in Columbus on September 28th and the paper did a little story on a few of the people who will be running who live outside of Indiana. I guess I was one of the people chosen and my picture appeared on the front page and a picture and story could be found in the sports pages. So now I have one less item on my “bucket list” wonders never cease!

The next couple of weeks will be quiet in my life as we wander into the lazy days of August. I will be heading to Shelby, NC towards the end of August but these first weeks will be filled with paperwork, doctor’s appointments, running and some spiritual renewal.

Have a great Monday everyone and know that my prayers go with you today in all your endeavors, in all of your challenges, in all of your struggles. Please trust in the presence of God that you carry within you and don’t be afraid to share your gift. Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment