Saturday, September 14, 2013

Daily Thoughts - 09/14/2013

Daily Thoughts: Today is a very special feast in the Church and the Passionist Community. It is the Feast of the Triumph of the Cross. So I offer you two simple prayers to guide you through this day and life...

The first comes from our Passionist tradition it is a simple prayer we utter each day - "May the Passion of our Lord Jesus Christ be always in our hearts!"

The second prayer was written by the great Jesuit theologian Fr. Karl Rahner, S.J. - "The Cross of My Lord, Be my Standard, Be my Comfort, Be the Answer to all dark questions, The Light of all nights, The Sign that You have chosen us, The mysterious and sure Sign that we are Yours for eternity. Amen."

These two simple prayers reflect the meaning of the Cross that we as Church and as the Passionist Community celebrate this day.

May the Passion and the Cross of our Lord, Jesus Christ be not a sign of violence, oppression, war and failure. May The Passion and Cross of Christ be a sign of God's great and unconditional love for us. May the Passion and Cross of Jesus be a walking stick that we can lean on to rest; be a protector in times of struggle and danger; and always be a reminder of just how much God love's us, no matter how imperfect we are as we journey through life!

Daily Prayer: "The Cross of My Lord, Be my Standard, Be my Comfort, Be the Answer to all dark questions, The Light of all nights, The Sign that You have chosen us, The mysterious and sure Sign that we are Yours for eternity. Amen." (By Fr. Karl Rahner, S.J.)

Runner's Thought: At first an ordeal and then an accomplishment, the daily run becomes a staple, like bread, or wine... or air. (Benjamin Cheever, author and Runner's World contributor) We might also say that the daily run also becomes our prayer, our conversation with God each day!

Happy Saturday everyone and Happy Feast of the Triumph of the Cross! I hope your weekend has stared off well and that you are enjoying some beautiful weather like we are here in Pelham, NY. Though I do know that in some parts of the country the weather is making life difficult! I am resting today as I have an 18 mile race tomorrow in Central Park. It begins at 7 am and hopefully I will be done before 10 am which makes for an early and eventful Sunday! I hope your Sunday and weekend will remain a little more relaxing. As you know when I run I pray and while my prayer is often, "Please God help me to breathe so that I can finish," I will make sure to include all of you in my prayer through Central Park tomorrow! Have a great Saturday, enjoy, be safe and know that God's loves you! Peace in Christ's Passion...Fr. Paul


No comments:

Post a Comment