Saturday, December 28, 2013

Daily Thoughts - 12/28/2013



Daily Thoughts: Today is the feast of the Holy Innocents. It has special meaning for me because when I took my vows as a Passionist my title was Paul Raymond of the Holy Innocents. I took the Holy Innocents as my title, because before entering the Passionists I worked as a social worker and my responsibilities were abused and neglected children. I also worked with hard to place adoptive children. So when I entered the Passionist I wanted to honor children particularly those often forgotten by or unwanted by the world. I thought what better way to honor and to remember the children I served, worked with and encountered by placing them and myself under the protection of the Holy Innocents.

There is not a day goes by that I don’t pause to remember many of the children that I encounter in my work. I often wonder what happened to them. Many of them were wonderful children who just need a chance to break the cycle of abuse and neglect. They were children with gifts who often didn’t get the chance to realize those gifts because of decisions that adults had made. I continue to commend them and children around the world to the care and protect of the Holy Innocents.

The Holy Innocents are martyrs and saints. Spirit of God who care for those often not cared for or forgotten. Through the celebration of their feast today and through their always present spirits may we come to value the gift of children and the gift of life.

Blessings upon all children today! Have a great Saturday everyone.

Daily Prayer: Loving Jesus, you once said unless we become like children we cannot enter your Kingdom. So we pause in prayer today to honor your most Holy Innocents and we call upon you through the intercession of these loving spirits to help us on our journey of life to the Kingdom and so we pray – Angels of God, our guardians so dear, to whom God's love entrusts us here; ever this day, be at our sides to light, to guard to rule and guide. Amen!

Runner’s Thoughts: “Running becomes religious in a robust sense when one infuses the experience – not unnaturally – with religious meaning and purpose.” (Jeffrey P Fry – “Running Religiously” from Running and Philosophy a Marathon for the Mind)

Daily Blessing: Happy Saturday everyone! I hope this finds you well and enjoying this Saturday morning. The weather here in Pelham is supposed to be sunny and on the warmer side, but it is cloudy and I don’t feel much warmth. Perhaps the rain forecast for tomorrow is coming a little earlier. Well no sense wondering or worrying  it is all beyond my control.

We celebrate the feast of the Holy Innocents today and so the focus is on children so let our blessing today be not only for us but for all children especially those who are most vulnerable, those in their mother’s womb and those who have just come into the world…Loving Jesus we ask your blessing today upon us and upon all your children especially those in most need of your blessing. You once embraced the little children who came to you, and said: "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these!" Look now with loving eyes on the innocence of all your children and those who love them, and bless us all this day that we may never forget the gift of children and their closeness to you. Jesus in your grace and goodness let us live life continually, longing for you and loving you. Then we will surely come to our eternal home, through you, our Savior. Who lives and reigns forever and ever. Amen! Blessing upon all children and upon all of us today and always. Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment