Saturday, January 25, 2014

Daily Thoughts - 01/25/2014



Daily Thoughts: Greetings everyone on the Feast of the Conversion of St. Paul. It is a special day for me and one that I always celebrate I guess because I was blessed with the name Paul. The thoughts that I am sharing with you today I have shared before but I think they are worth writing again…

There are two choices today for the first reading, both for the Acts of the Apostles. In the first option from Chapter 22, Paul retells his experience on the road to Damascus and in the second option from Chapter 9 Luke is telling the same story. I could not help but smile a little as I considered the two options, they tell the same story but just a little differently. I thought of that game where someone starts off by whispering a story to the person next to them and it goes around the circle and the last person tells the story out loud and it is always a bit different.

Whether the stories are exactly alike is not important, what is important is what happen on that road to Damascus. Saul, as he was called then, soon to become Paul, has a change of heart, has a change of direction. He leaves that spot on the road a changed man, no longer a persecutor, now he is a preacher of the Good News. If anything the story of Paul reminds us that people can change, that people can come to see life differently. It doesn't take violence, anger, insult or judgment to make them change. Sometimes all it takes is a different vision, a different perspective, a different way of seeing things. God gives Paul the opportunity to see things differently and he accepts the chance.

Paul put his original energy of faith to work with anger, resentment and violence, Jesus invited him to see things a different way. His energy did not go away it just got refocused in a positive life giving way. He no longer walked in fear, anger and in judgment but he walked in the Good News and in hope.

As we celebrate life today, as we seek the sacredness and giftedness of life in our world, let us not walk in fear, in anger, in violence, in judgment; let us walk in the light of the Good News! St. Paul walk with us, give us your energy to proclaim the Good News of Jesus, of God, of the Spirit to the world!

Happy Feast Day to everyone with the name Paul! Have a great Saturday everyone!



Daily Prayer: O God, give us the strength, the energy and your Spirit to go out to all the world and tell the Good News. Enable us to let go of fear, anger, insult, violence and judgment so that in proclaiming the Good News of Life we might grow stronger and confound all we meet! Amen!

Runner's Thoughts: Remember it is your intention that sets you apart from every other runner. So today and every day have the intention of life and the willingness to celebrate the gift of life!

Daily Blessing: Happy Feast of the Conversion of St. Paul the Apostle! To all who celebrate the feast many blessings and much peace. I always celebrate the gift of St. Paul whenever I can. Today is one of my favorite feasts throughout the year! I started with Mass this morning at 7:00 am and now I am getting ready for a long day of travel back to New York. I hate to leave because it is to go up to 65 here today and 75 tomorrow. I would like to stay and enjoy the warmth but I can’t so it is back to the cold and snow! My blessing prayer is very simple today - May the spirit of St. Paul the Apostle be with all of us throughout the day. May his energy enliven your work, your ministry, your living of life today and always. Many blessings and remember with St. Paul's help we too can get up when we are knocked down and life will be better because we do! Peace in Christ's Passion...Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment