Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Daily Thoughts - 03/04/2014



Daily Thoughts: “We have given up everything and followed you.” I wonder how many of us can really say this. Whether we are religious brothers, priests, sisters, diocesan priests, lay women and men, bishops, cardinals or popes we might think we have given up a lot or everything but we haven’t.

One of my Passionist brothers often tells the story that at his first vows the preacher said, “Today you have given up everything and tomorrow you will begin to take it all back!” And in I think I have to agree with him as I look back of the course of my own religious life. It is hard giving up anything and with the way the world is going each day there are new things that we must have, that we cannot live without. We rationalize and we make excuses for needing things, for collecting things, for having things.

The same Passionist brother in the above story once put up a picture of a very beautiful chalice and paten in the office of our retreat house and he wrote on the picture, “I need this!” Being a young and brash religious I wrote underneath, “Do you need it or do you just want it?” The picture came down but we bought the chalice and paten. We didn’t need it, we just wanted it!

Yet, in the midst of all this needing, wanting and possessing the Gospel (Mark 10: 28-31) today reminds us that if we are willing to let go there is much we can receive. It might not seem as valuable and important as the things we seem to need and want but it is far more important and valuable. It is the presence of God found in the people around us and in ourselves.

Can we let go and let God today!

Have a great Mardi Gras Tuesday everyone! Remember Lent begins tomorrow with Ash Wednesday and also we begin our 40+ Days of Joyful Noise with Pope Francis right here so make plans to join me and share it with your friends!

Daily Prayer: Loving God, in you is found the fullness of life and unconditional Love. We place ourselves in your hands each day, asking that you make holy all that we are, all that we have, and all that we offer you. Keep us firm in our faith and strong in your service. Create in us a new heart that we might meditate on the Passion of Christ, and find a peace that always welcomes us home. Amen!

Runner’s Thoughts: “I run because if I didn't, I'd be sluggish and glum and spend too much time on the couch. I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run to escape the ordinary. I run… to savor the trip along the way. Life becomes a little more vibrant, a little more intense. I like that.” (Dean Karnazes)

Daily Blessing: Happy Mardi Gras Tuesday everyone! Hopefully the wintry weather has passed you by, at least the rain, snow and sleet, it seems the cold is going to hang around a little longer! A special shout out and prayer to and for my grandniece Emilia who is down with the stomach flu, my prayer is for healing, energy and getting back to her beautiful self!

This is our last day before we enter the holy season of Lent tomorrow with Ash Wednesday, so celebrate a little today and get ready to journey through the 40 Days of Lent not just giving things up but working to make yourself and your life of faith just a little bit better!

One way to do that is to join me as I reflect on Pope Francis’ apostolic exhortation Evangelii Gaudium (The Joy of the Gospel). What I hope to do over the 40+ days of Lent is to make a Joyful Noise with Pope Francis so that we all can be joyful people of faith. So why not consider doing penance and join me in making a Joyful Noise for Lent! The more the more joy filled we can be so tell a friend!

First of all let me offer a special prayer of blessing upon all who need healing today, all struggling with the difficulties of winter and illness. My God’s healing touch be upon you, especially Emilia and Mindy! My prayer of blessing for all of us today is that God will continue to bless all of us with his life giving presence and that God will grace us with the strength and energy to share that presence wherever we go and with whomever we meet! Blessings to all today, have a great day, stay warm and know that God is with you! Peace in Christ's Passion...Fr. Paul

PS Just in case you didn’t know I am taking a Pilgrimage to Lourdes and the Shines of France in August 2014 (Dates: August 4-14, 2014). We have about 16 people right now so there is plenty of room. If you would like more information send me an email with your name and address and I will send out a brochure.

No comments:

Post a Comment