Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Making a Joyful Noise through Lent 04/01/2014



Making a Joyful Noise through Lent – 04/01/2014
“Today, as the Church seeks to experience a profound missionary renewal, there is a kind of preaching which falls to each of us as a daily responsibility. It has to do with bringing the Gospel to the people we meet, whether they be our neighbours or complete strangers. This is the informal preaching which takes place in the middle of a conversation, something along the lines of what a missionary does when visiting a home. Being a disciple means being constantly ready to bring the love of Jesus to others, and this can happen unexpectedly and in any place: on the street, in a city square, during work, on a journey.” (Pope Francis, Evangelii Gaudium: The Joy of the Gospel)

Pope Francis asks us to bring the joy of the Gospel to whomever we meet. We are to look around and see the people like the man in the Gospel today who can’t get to the living water of healing and we are to bring that living water to them. We are not to be people who see themselves alone with Jesus, we are to be people of a community of faith who bring the living waters of Jesus to the world.

As I looked over the scriptures this morning a couple of thoughts came to mind. First there is a one striking thing about today's Gospel (5:1-16) for me; it is the fact that the man whom Jesus approaches is alone. He says he has no one to help him. No one to get him to the water, he finds himself alone unable to get to the waters of life. How often do we feel alone in life? We have that feeling that we are out there on a limb by ourselves. There is no one to help, no one to lean on, and no one to help us get to where we want to go. Like the man in the gospel today we can be surrounded by a world of people and yet still feel alone.

In those moments perhaps it is only God who makes the difference. We perhaps are not dramatically healed as the man in the story but when we let God enter our life, life does become better. We encounter the gifts of life; we get places that seemed impossible to get to before. With God in our life being part of the world, be a part of the community is not only possible it happens.

Another aspect of our readings today is the element of water. Ezekiel (Ezekiel 47:1-9, 12) and the man in the Gospel encounter the healing power of water. They are each aware of its importance in for life. They each become aware of the presence of God in life that water represents.

Our readings today remind us of the value of God's presence in our lives. God's presence never leaves us to face life alone. God's presence is life giving, refreshing and life sustaining. As the verse for the responsorial psalm says, God is with us and God is our stronghold our support.

As we live this day let us be aware of the many ways that God enters our life. Let us be aware of the many ways in which God does not leave us alone and the many ways God sustains and refreshes our life. Let us be thankful and not fear because God is ever with us and will never leave us to face life alone!

Happy Tuesday and April 1st – April Fool’s Day everyone! But remember God doesn’t fool so let not be fools either let’s make a joyful noise with our life today!

Daily Lenten Prayer: My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart for that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it. Therefore I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone. (From Thomas Merton --- Thoughts in Solitude)

A Runner's Thoughts: Perhaps as we run today we too should choose the road less traveled: the road of awareness as we run, the road of revelation as we run, the road of intention as we run, the road of mindfulness as we run, the road of imagination as we run, the road of joy as we run, the road of prayer as we run. Today let's pick a road we have not traveled lately and let it make a difference in our life today!

Daily Blessing: I hope your Tuesday is starting out ok. We had a nice second evening of mission here at St. Lawrence Parish last night. I got to meet some of the priests from the area as we celebrated Reconciliation as part of the mission last night many of the men came from 40 to 50 miles away. I am looking forward to our third evening of mission tonight. There is a wonderful spirit here and we are truly walking by faith these days!

As always please keep the faith community of St. Lawrence/St. Thomas in your prayers and if you have time for an extra one could it be for their preacher!

I pray for blessings upon your today where ever you are and whatever you will be doing. May today be a productive and peaceful one for you. May today be rich in the presence of God and may that presence help you to know that even in the most difficult times of struggle that you are not alone. God’s blessings, much peace and may God truly be your stronghold today and always! Peace in Christ's Passion...Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment