Monday, May 19, 2014

Daily Thoughts - 05/19/2014



Daily Thoughts: “Not to us, O Lord, but to your name give the glory.” The refrain from today responsorial psalm seems to be the focus of our readings today. This journey of faith is not about us, it is about the glory of God.

We certainly see this in the drama of our first reading (Acts 14:5-18). Paul and Barnabas go from nearly being stoned to being honored as gods. Yet as they both point out it is not their work it is the work of God. The man who hasn’t worked from birth is healed not because of Paul and Barnabas but because he has faith. His faith in God enables Paul and Barnabas to lead him to healing. They bring God to the moment so that healing can take place. It is not about Paul, Barnabas or the man who is healed it is about the glory of God.

The same focus can be found in our Gospel today too, (John 14: 21-26), Jesus speaks about his relationship with the Father and how it can be life-giving in our lives, for this to happen our focus has to be on God. We have to buy into the relationship with the Father that Jesus is offering us. We need to have faith in God and faith also in Jesus. If our life is about the glory of God and not stuck in selfishness then the grace, blessing and presence of God will abound in us.

In a world were so much focus can be placed upon self, our scriptures today ask us to place our trust, our faith and our hope in God. We are challenged to not make life about us, but about the glory of God!

Have a great Monday everyone and don’t forget to make a joyful noise with your life today!

Daily Prayer: Grant us today, Lord, the wisdom to know what is worth knowing, to love what is worth loving, to praise what delights you most, to value what is precious in your sight, to walk away from what is not of you. Do not let us judge by what we see, nor pass judgment by what we hear, but help us to choose rightly between things that differ and above all to search out and do what pleases you. Help us to make this day and our life about praising you. Amen!

A Runner’s Thoughts: “Our toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. We don't so much outrun our opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside our head.” (Adapted from the words of Joe Henderson)

Daily Blessing: Monday blessings to all! I write to you from Harrisburg, PA where I have been since Saturday. I find myself right downtown just a block from the state capital building. The Cathedral Parish of St. Patrick’s is a beautiful church with a small but very faith filled community. The masses over the weekend went very well and I had a first, at the 9:30 am mass I had a person stand beside me and sign my homily. The pastor also signed the whole mass. It was a wonderful experience to be a part of a mass that let everyone participate.

Today and tomorrow we celebrate the annual Eucharistic Devotion here in the parish. I will be celebrating the noon mass today and preaching the vespers service tonight. Tomorrow the bishop will preside at the vespers service and I will preach so I guess I should be on my best behavior and make sure I am using approved theology!

It has been nice to re-connect with the Harrisburg area. I spent one very wonderful year here back at the end of the 1960s. While the area has changed greatly over last 44 years since I lived here, I do have fond memories of that year and it is just nice being back. I also had the chance to re-connect with some retreatants from Riverdale, a fine group of women who made the journey from Harrisburg to Riverdale every year for retreat. They now travel west each year to our retreat house in Pittsburgh. They had a little gathering for me yesterday and it was nice to be with them once again!

Well as you can see my life remains busy, this is good, because for the most part it keeps me out of trouble. I hope your life is not as busy and that you are enjoying the beauty of spring through the gifts of sun, warmth and colors.

I pray for God’s blessing upon all of you today. May your day be blessed with the richness of God’s presence, hope, joy and love. May you find the energy to make a joyful noise for God with your life today! Peace in Christ’s Passion and Joy in the Risen Lord…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment