Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Daily Thoughts and a Blessing - 08/13/2014

Daily Thoughts and a Blessing - 08/13/2014

Good Morning all and Hump Day blessings! In just a few hours we will be beginning our last full day in France. We arrived in Paris yesterday evening after a wonderful morning in Lisieux. We visited the home of St. Therese of Lisieux, the Carmelite Convent she lived in and the beautiful pilgrimage Basilica which bares her name. It was in the crypt of the Basilica of St. Therese of Lisieux that we celebrated mass. During our mass the married couples in the group renewed their vows. It was a very nice celebration. Finally before we left Lisieux we had a chance to get lunch and visit the Cathedral of St. Peter in Lisieux.

It was very interesting to hear about St. Therese's life which was so very short as she died at age 24. We learn that her parents were beatified just a few years ago which I think is a first. Listening to St. Therese's life one could not but notice the contrast between her and St. Bernadette. St. Therese came from a rather wealthy family as St. Bernadette was from a profoundly poor family, yet both were called by God in profound ways.

As I wandered around Lisieux yesterday morning and early afternoon I could not help but think about my mother. Throughout our journey I have thought of her often and I remembered the french songs she use to sing when I was a child. The few little french phrase she would at times use. She has studied french in high school and I think college and she had a few little phrases she would us. I would have liked to travel through France will her.

At the Basilica of St. Therese I spent a little time in prayer and I lit 5 candles. The first was for all children in the world and I especially remembered my three grand nieces, Emilia, Kristina, and Natalie. The second candle was for all of you. The third was for all married couples and parents. The four was for all in religious life and the fifth was for everyone in my family.

Our afternoon was spent on the bus as we drove from Lisieux to Paris. Our evening was free to wander around Paris and enjoy dinner at a place of our own choice. I found a nice little restaurant just off of the  Champs Elysees near the Arc De Triomphe.

Today we will have a city tour in the morning and the afternoon and evening free. I will take the opportunity to have dinner with my fellow Passionist and classmate Fr. Melvin. Then it will be an early wake up on Thursday (3:30 am) as we begin our journey back to New York,

Daily Blessing: As all of you sleep and get ready for a new day I pray in the early morning here in Paris that your day will be blessed with the gift of God's presence and love throughout your Wednesday. May you have a day rich in energy that enables you to do the things you need to do and get to the places you need to get to. May God bless you with a strong faith, a sure and certain hope, a passionate love and a joy that enlivens your day. May God also bless you today with mucg peace! Peace in Christ's Passion...Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment