Thursday, September 4, 2014

Daily Thoughts - 09/04/2014



Daily Thoughts: “Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man.” I am not sure how many times I have uttered these words in my own mind over the last 34 plus years. It seemed very simple 34 years ago, I got rid of most of my possessions and packed up what was left in my little orange Chevy Vega and headed east from St. Louis to Philadelphia to begin my journey into religious life and priesthood. At the time it seemed freeing, liberating. Yet not long after arriving in Philadelphia did the doubts and struggles started, the challenges of letting go of people, possessions and a way of life.

And to make matters more challenging throughout these 34 plus years there have been amazing moments when I have paused and said, “Why am I here? Depart from me, Lord, I don’t deserve this, I am a sinful man!” It is the ebb and flow of life that makes who I am, who any person of faith is a challenge. One moment we are in the midst of everyday life, doing what is expected, doing what we always do and then God seems to step in, in a profound way and we feel humbled, we feel undeserving.

I had one of those moments this past week as I held my little grandniece in my arms for a few moments. Encountering the gift of life, of creation, the gift of love and the gift of family is a humbling experience. Sometimes it can be a challenging and a struggling experience for someone like me who can only experience this kind of love and intimacy from a distance. But then someone places a little child in your arms and you recognize the profound presence of God just like Peter did. And you think to yourself “I don’t deserve this, I am a sinful man!”

However even though undeserving like Peter and the rest of the crew on the seashore that day each morning I rise and follow Jesus once again. If you happened to encounter God in a profound way today and have that feeling that you don’t deserve it remember you are in good company!

Have a great day everyone…

Daily Prayer: Loving Jesus, you are the love that gives love. You are higher than the highest star, you are deeper than the deepest sea; you cherish us as your own family; you embrace us as your own spouse; you grace us as your own people; you welcome us as your dearest friends. Let us and all the world praise you today! Amen. (Adapted from a prayer by St. Hildegard of Bingen)

A Runner’s Thoughts: The battles that count aren't the ones for gold medals, the struggles within yourself – the invisible, inevitable battles inside all of us – that’s where it's at. (Jesse Owens) So to in the spiritual life…

Daily Blessing: Thursday greetings and blessing to all! I hope the beginning of this new day finds you well and energized for a new adventure! I seems from all reports that today going to be a very hot and humid day here in Belleville, IL just across the Great Mississippi River from St. Louis. It is just how I remember summer weather from my years in this area many years ago. I cannot complain now as this summer has not been a hot one and the retreat house is air conditioned so I should be able to survive with little discomfort. If it is hot today by you I hope you have an oasis too!

We enter our third full day of retreat. It will interrupted a little as the Oblates will head over to their shine, Our Lady of the Snows, not far from here this afternoon to celebrate the jubilees of a number of their men. I will give two talks this morning and then this afternoon they will celebrate jubilee and then return this evening for our healing service. A little different rhythm to the day but it should be another nice retreat day. Please keep the brothers and priests on retreat in your prayers and if you can spare an extra prayer please offer it for the preacher!

My prayer of blessing for you today is the like Peter in today gospel God will bless you with a profound experience of his presence and if it makes you consider your unworthiness that God will give you the strength and courage to continue on! May God bless you day with the richness of love, hope and joy! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment