Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Daily Thoughts - 10/22/2014



Daily Thoughts: “Much will be required of the person entrusted with much, and still more will be demanded of the person entrusted with more.” This is a demanding and challenging reflection by Jesus in today’s Gospel (Luke 12: 39-47). Each time I hear this Gospel especially these words from Jesus I always pause in thought. Am I using the gifts and talents that I have been entrusted with to the best of my ability? Perhaps more importantly, am I using the gifts and talents that I have been entrusted with to further the Kingdom of God? Am I using them not only for myself but for others?

If I am honest with myself then at times my answers to these questions is no! I have been graced, honored and entrusted with many gifts and I have to say at times I do not use them to the best of my ability. Sometimes I am selfish in my approach to life and in sharing what I have been given. At times the challenge of the Gospel especially the challenge in today’s Gospel weighs heavy on me.

I want to be the best person of faith I can be and I want that to be reflected in how I live my life and how I use my gifts. I was reading a reflection the other day that said, “If we have been given a keen mind, we must think. If we are filled with compassion, we must serve. If we receive a voice, we must sing. God will not ask the impossible, but will expect our talents to be used.” Perhaps the question for all of us today is what are my gifts and talents? Are they being used to make present the Kingdom of God?

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

Daily Prayer: Loving God, give us the strength and courage today and always to be your good and faithful servants. Grace us with the wisdom and spirit to use the gifts and talents you have entrusted us with to bring about your presence in everything we do and to everyone we meet. Help us to be faithful servants of your joy and love this day and always. Amen!

A Runner’s Thoughts: It's important to know that at the end of the day it's not medals or where we finished that we should remember. What we need to remember is the process, the journey – what we learn about ourselves, about our relationship with God by challenging ourselves, the experiences we share with other people, the honesty that training, that prayer demands – these are things to remember because nobody can take them away from us whether we finish last or first.

Daily Blessing: Happy Wednesday “Hump Day” everyone! I hope this finds you well and enjoying your day and life! The weather have begun to change here in Pelham, you can feel the chill beginning to be a permanent fixture in the air. It is a cloudy, rainy, gloomy day which is probably a preview of the winter days ahead.

Special prayers today for my brother-in-law John and his family as they mourn the death of two wisdom figures in their family, a sister and brother who died just a day a part. The funeral for Uncle Bill is today and for Aunt Louise is tomorrow. They lived long and faith filed lives but loss is always difficult so my prayers are with the Muth and Hengesbach families in a special way during these days of mourning!

So that we are not dragged down by thoughts of the approaching winter and its absence of warmth and color, I pray today that God will bless us all with eyes to see God’s goodness in ourselves and others. That when things get cold, gloomy and colorless in life may we always find warmth in the people of our lives, energy in sharing our gifts and talents and color in the smiles, joy and love that we encounter in the life we are living. May this blessing of God’s presence be with you today and always! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment