Friday, October 31, 2014

Daily Thoughts - 10/31/2014



Daily Thoughts: As I celebrated mass this morning and read the Gospel (Luke 14: 1-6) I could not help but think about all the article, comments, reflections and commentaries that I have heard and read over the last month concerning the Synod of the Family. Many of the comments concerned the doctrine and laws of the Church and people’s concerns as to whether things would change or not. There were fights over words and translations. There were comments, articles and reflections from the proverbial right and left, conservative and liberal, traditionalists and progressives. There was talk about remaining true to dogma, doctrine and law. There was talk about mercy, forgiveness and compassion.

If we listen to the Gospel today Jesus is confronted in his day with perhaps the same issues that Pope Francis is confronted with today. The religious leadership of Jesus’ time is concerned about the law. You do not eat with tax collectors and sinners and you do not heal on the Sabbath! Jesus meanwhile is concerned about the person in front of him, a man struggling and while the law says “no healing today,” Jesus responds with mercy and compassion.

I don’t know what will happen with the Synod on the Family. I don’t know what will happen with the rest of Pope Francis’ journey as pope but what I take way from today’s Gospel is the hope that God will bless Pope Francis with the strength and courage to always see the person, the people, in need and respond to them out of mercy, compassion, forgiveness and love and to help and teach us to do the same.

Yes, I know that laws, doctrines and dogmas are important but if I read the Gospel right today, when needed mercy, compassion, forgiveness and love always trumps law, doctrine and dogma!

Happy Halloween everyone! Have a great and safe day and evening!

Daily Prayer: O God, lover of all who hope in you, without whom nothing has foundation, nothing is holy, grace us in abundance with your love, compassion and mercy and grant that, with you as our friend and guide, we may use the good gifts that are within and around us in such a way so that we will hold fast to a hope that will endure. We make our prayer today through Jesus Christ our Lord in whom the love of God for us is always present. Amen!

A Runner’s Thoughts: Some words of inspiration and faith for today are – “I run because long after my footprints fade away, maybe I will have inspired a few to reject the easy path, hit the trails, put one foot in front of the other, and come to the same conclusion I did: I run because it always takes me where I want to go.” (Dean Karnazes) And I believe, I have faith in God, in Christ, in the Spirit, because long after I am gone maybe I will have inspired a few to reject the easy road, hit the Eucharist, prayer and community, put one foot in front of the other, and come to the same conclusion I did: I believe because it always takes me to God’s love!

Daily Blessing: Happy Halloween everyone! And a special shout out to my niece Kelly who celebrates her birthday today! I hope your morning is going well; it is a busy one for me as I try to get some projects done or at least moving along. The day here in Pelham is dreary yet a little on the mild side but they say winter will be upon us this weekend. The weather for Sunday’s New York Marathon looks to be cold and windy. Now I am not running this year but I have volunteered to cheer for Fred’s Team (Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center) at the 17 mile mark so it looks like I will have a cold six hour as I stand along First Avenue but hopefully my cheers will be a little helpful in getting the runners to the finish!

Well if you will be heading out trick or treating tonight please be safe and if you are headed out tonight but not trick or treating drive alert so the little ones or the big ones out and about will be safe!

As this week and month draws to a close I use some of St. Paul’s words from our first reading today to offer this prayer and blessing for all today – I will give thanks to God every time I think of you today – which will be constantly, in every prayer I pray – rejoicing, as I pray on your behalf, at the way you have all continually helped to promote the Gospel.

I am sure of this much; that God who has begun the good work in you will carry it to completion.

My prayer for you is that your love may more and more abound, both in understanding and wealth of experience so that you may learn to value the things that really matter.

My hope for you is that you may be always found rich in a harvest of faith, hope and love which Jesus Christ has planted within you, to the glory and praise of God!
Amen! Blessings to all – Amen! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment