Monday, November 24, 2014

Daily Thoughts - 11/24/2014



Daily Thoughts: It is hard to imagine giving away all that you have. It doesn’t seem practical, perhaps it even seem foolish. Yet in our Gospel today (Luke 21:1-4) that is exactly what happens. A poor widow making her way into the Temple to pray gives up her last two coins. She is not giving out of her surplus, she is giving out of her poverty, she gives her “whole livelihood.”

Why? It is not any easy question to answer because it goes against the way we most often view life. Yet, I think it tells us something about what possessions, wealth and money do to us. They make us dependent, insecure, selfish and untrusting. When you have nothing it is easy to give because we are not attached and we are willing to trust in the next moment. We are willing to give everything we have to make a difference. When we have things there is worry, concern and the desire to have more.

Perhaps this example from the life of Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, M.C. will helps us to understand Jesus’ story in the Gospel today –

“I was once walking down the street and a beggar came to me and said, “Mother Teresa, everybody’s giving to you. Today, for the whole day, I got only twenty-nine paise and I want to give it to you”. I thought for a moment: if I take it, he will have nothing to eat tonight; and if I don’t take it, it will hurt him. So I put out my hand and took the money. I have never seen such a joy on anybody’s face as I saw on his —that a beggar, too, could give to Mother Teresa. It was a big sacrifice for that poor man who’d been sitting in the sun all day and had only received twenty-nine paise. It was beautiful: twenty-nine paise is such a small amount and I can get nothing with it, but as he gave it up and I took it, it became like thousands because it was given with so much love.”  (From the book – Mother Teresa. A Simple Path)

Wealth, possessions and property can make us afraid to give. They can hold us back from trusting in God. They can enslave us. They can make it difficult to love. The poor widow in the Gospel today handed over her life to God. She gave out of trust, freedom and love. Perhaps the challenge of the Gospel today is to pause, look at our lives and be reminded that all the wealth, possessions and property that we think are important really are not. What is important is trusting in God’s unconditional love!

Have a great Monday everyone!

Daily Prayer: O God, let us have hearts ready to trust in your abundant kindness and mercy that we might always be ready to say great and wonderful are your works, Loving God!

A Runner's Thoughts: Always run with imagination and see as you run God is running towards you!

Daily Blessing: Happy Monday everyone! I hope your day has started off well! If not just remember it is a short week and in just a few day you will have time to rest, relax and enjoy the gift of family, friends and Thanksgiving, so hang in there today and keep your eyes focused on the prize at the end of the week.

Today for me will be a busy day trying to clear my desk to I can head south tomorrow for some family time and a Mission that I will begin on Saturday in Tampa, FL. So today is a paperwork day which is my least favorite kind of day, but this to will pass!

My prayer of blessing today comes from something I ran across the other day it is a blessing prayer that seems to be credited to both St. Thérèse of Liseaux and St. Teresa of Ávila. So I thank them both for their words of wisdom that I use today…

Loving God I prayer for family and friends today, for all who ask me to pray for them or to remember a prayer request that they have and I pray for all who are in need of prayer today. What follows Lord, is my prayer for them - so please bless them with your presence however they may need it today. For all in need of prayer today –

“May today there be peace within you.
May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.
May you use the gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you.
May you be content knowing you are a child of God.
Let this presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of us. Today - Amen!”

Loving God bless family, friends and all in need today with this prayer! Have a blessed and faith filled Monday everyone! Peace in Christ's Passion...Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment