Monday, December 29, 2014

Daily Thoughts - 12/29/2014



Daily Thoughts: Feast of St. Thomas Becket – We find ourselves listening to the same Gospel as yesterday. I have always liked the story of Simeon which we hear once again. It is a very tender scene. However there is something missing in our Gospel today. It should read just a few verses more so that we also encounter the story of Anna; to me it just seems natural to include both stories. Two people who have dedicated their lives to God waiting for this moment. You can hear the joy in their voices as they realize the purpose of their lives coming to completion, both embraced by the Holy Spirit graced with the gift of hope.

They do not sugar coat their message they tell it like it is – or should I say like it will be. There will be sorrow and struggle but also life. Rather than speak about the "rise and fall" Simeon speaks of the "fall and rise." The cross is part of Jesus' story but it is not the end. Death leads to life, doubt is embraced by faith, sorrow and struggle turns to joy!

Perhaps as we listen to Simeon today we need to remember that in being a person of faith our direction in life is always "upwards." Hope means that no matter how difficult things seem to get, no matter what the struggle – God is always with us. If we can be patience like Simeon and Anna the light of God will always direct our way, death, doubt, struggle and sorrow will become life, faith and joy!

Have a great day everyone and may you find peace, hope and joy as you journey through your day!

Daily Prayer: Grant, O Loving God, that I may never fall away in success or in failure; that I may not be prideful in prosperity nor dejected in adversity. Let me rejoice only in what unites us and sorrow only in what separates us. May I strive to please no one or fear to displease anyone except you. May I see always the things that are eternal and never those that are only temporal. May I shun any joy that is without you and never seek any that is beside you. O God, may I delight in any work I do for you and tire of any rest that is apart from you. Let me direct my heart towards you, and in my failings, always repent with a purpose of amendment. – Amen! (Adapted from a prayer by St. Thomas Aquinas, O.P.)

A Runner’s Thoughts: “It's important to know that, at the end of the day, it's not the medals you remember. What you remember is the process - what you learn about yourself by challenging yourself, the experiences you share with other people, the honesty the training demands - those are things nobody can take away from you whether you finish twelfth or you're an Olympic champion.” (Silken Laumann)

Daily Blessing: Monday greetings to all on this last Monday of 2014! I hope everyone had a nice Christmas and a relaxing long weekend. If you had to work in the days after Christmas I hope the time was not too stressful! We now make our way to the beginning of the New Year 2015. Hopefully this will not be too busy a week for you. I will be spending my week home alone as my community members are away for the week. I am hoping that it will not be as eventful as the movie, “Home Alone!”

My blessing prayer today is that God will bless us all with calm, peaceful and fun filled days this week as we prepare to bring in a New Year. May God bless any travel we will do in these last days of 2014. May God help us to enjoy these closing days of 2014 and look ahead with hope to 2015. May God bless this day with many smiles, the gift of laughter and people whom we love! Let us also keep the people of the Air Asia flight that went mission two days ago in our prayers along with their families and friends who now morn their loss and will enter the New Year with profound grief! May those lost and those who morn them find God’s peace. Have a great day everyone! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment