Sunday, February 22, 2015

Daily Thoughts - 02/22/2015



Daily Thoughts: Last weekend I was in Sierra Madre, California at the Mater Dolorosa Passionist Retreat Center giving a married couples retreat. When I arrived at the Retreat Center Friday around noon I encounter a sign that said “Beware of Wildlife.” There were pictures of a mountain lion, some coyotes, a bear, a rattle snake and a few other animals I was sure that I didn’t want to meet. The Retreat Center is in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and at times the wildlife from the mountains makes its way on to the property so the retreat staff makes sure everyone know what they might encounter.

As I got settled in my room I wondered just what was is store for me on this weekend. I had been looking forward to the warm weather and some time outdoors, but how was I going to take walks fearing for my life? How was I going to enjoy the retreat if I feared what might greet me around every corner? I have to admit I am not a good wilderness person.

The Gospel today tells us that Jesus was driven out into the wilderness, the desert by the Spirit. Once out there he encounters wild beasts, Satan and probably a lot of other not too kind things. Yet it was the wilderness, the desert where Jesus was able to pause and put the journey of his life into perspective. It was the wilderness, the desert where Jesus is able to prepare himself for the journey ahead of him to Calvary.

Jesus entered the wilderness, the desert and came out a stronger, more determined, more powerful proclaimer of God’s Good News. He came out of the wilderness, the desert knowing that it was now his time of fulfilment. Jesus came out of the wilderness, the desert ready to proclaim the kingdom of God. Ready to challenge anyone who would listen to repent and believe in the Gospel.

Yes, sometimes the wilderness, the desert can be a scary place. A place to be aware of wildlife, devils and many other things. It can also be a place of quiet, prayer, aloneness and God. It can be a place to gather strength, energize our life and prepare to live the Good News.

I had a wonderful weekend with 43 married couples at the edge of the wilderness. We prayed, reflected, sought God’s forgiveness, found ourselves in God’s presence and listened to the Good News. All of us are afraid of the things we often find in our own wildernesses but we also know that God is always with us, taking care of us, loving us and helping us to keep moving because each new day is our time of fulfilment.

Last Wednesday, Ash Wednesday, we enter the wilderness, the desert of Lent and were pushed into it by the Spirit. There can be a lot of wildlife to be aware of and there can be temptations by devils in the wilderness of Lent. However there are also be times of prayer, of forgiveness and God’s loving presence that help us to change our life, believe in the Gospel and make our way to the kingdom!

Have a great Sunday afternoon and evening everyone! Also have a blessed and holy Lent – and may the love of Christ’s Passion be always in your heart!

Daily Prayer: God of Life, be with us in our journey through Lent and life. Remind us of the story of your love each day that we may truly believe in our hearts that you are our God. In our moments of choice and decision help us to choose wisely. Have mercy on us when we don't. Remind us in the midst of our struggles to always call upon your name for help. Enrich us with your gift of hope that will enable us to always remember your love and with joy choose life and blessing. Amen!

A Runner's Thoughts: As we run let us look purposefully for signs of God's presence and give praise and be thankful. During our run let us become one of the many voice in nature that give thanks and praise!

Daily Blessing: Sunday afternoon greetings and blessings everyone! I am very blessed to be here at the Our Lady of Loreto Parish, in Waterbury, CT to celebrate a time of mission. This is a wonderful faith community and I kicked of the mission this last night and today by preaching all the masses. There were not a lot of people at the masses because of the snow storm yesterday and last night here in Waterbury but the weather at least snow wise looks clear for the mission Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. There is a wonderful spirit here. I am hoping the mission the next three day will be an added gift to the life of the spirit here.

I hope your weekend is going well and you have had at least a little time to rest. It is nice to see the sun here this afternoon and feel a little warmth though I am told it will get very cold again tomorrow but this little respite even just for an afternoon is nice!

Blessings upon your Sunday afternoon and evening – blessings upon the work week ahead and may God bless us all with a relaxing and enjoying afternoon and evening along with a peaceful and restful night. Please know you will be in my prayers as I celebrate a time of mission here in Waterbury and I ask your prayers for the faith community here and their preacher. Peace in Christ's Passion...Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment