Thursday, June 11, 2015

Daily Thoughts - 06/11/2015



Daily Thoughts: Late last night as I looked over the readings for this feast of the Apostle, St. Barnabas, which we celebrate today. I could not also help but think of my uncle Joe. June 11th is his anniversary of death. He died 32 years ago today. He was my only uncle and I guess you could say I looked up to him, both literally and figuratively. I was a big man at least by the standards of those days. He has played football in high school. He was a lineman. He has the personality of a salesman, which he was, not in a negative way, but a positive way. He could talk to anyone and just being around him made you feel at ease. He would call me “Pedro.”  I am not sure why as my name is Paul and “Pedro” means Peter, however I didn’t mind and use to look forward to his greeting of “Pedro” whenever the family got together.

Uncle Joe, at least from my perspective, was a positive man always willing to pass along a good word or two. He was fun loving and at times would like to “stir the pot” at family gatherings just to keep things lively. He always seemed to have encouraging words for everyone he met.

I share these things about my uncle Joe today as we celebrate the feast of St. Barnabas. Now Barnabas’ original name was Joseph and Barnabas’ name means “son of encouragement.”  I guess in thinking about my uncle I could not help but connect the two. Two men who because of their personalities and their outlook on life brought encouragement and energy to whomever they met. They brought the presence of God. They were gifts in the lives of the people they met. They each did it in their own way and I am grateful for having known them, one in real life and the other in my story of faith.

I am thankful for both Barnabas and Joseph today and may their spirits of encouragement bless all of us as we wander through this day and always!

Have a great Thursday everyone!

Daily Prayer: Loving God, please send people of encouragement who bring your presence in to our lives. We thank you for the family and friends that we have now who encourage us. Always bless us with the wisdom and favor of family, friends and people who bring the gift of encouragement to our lives always! We pray this through the source of all encouragement Jesus the Lord! Amen!


A Runner’s Thoughts: One of the things about running is that our greatest runs are rarely measured by great achievements or racing success. They are moments in time when running allows us to see how wonderful our life is. They are moments in time when running enables us to encounter the presence of God. (Adapted from a quote by Kara Goucher)

And a second thought for today – “There are as many reasons for running as there are days in the year, years in my life. But mostly I run because I am an animal and a child, an artist and a saint. So, too, are you. Find your own play, your own self-renewing compulsion, and you will become the person you are meant to be.” (George Sheehan)

Daily Blessing: Thursday greetings and blessings to all! I truly hope that your week has been a good one and that your Thursday has started off in a positive way. We have sun and warmth here in Pelham today. It looks like the start of a beautiful day! I hope the same is true where you are.

Later this morning I will begin my journey west. I am headed once again to St. Louis where I will begin a retreat for priests next Monday. Today I hope to leave around noon and drive for about six or eight hours, then tomorrow I will make a stop in Indianapolis to visit with my sister and brother-in-law before heading to St. Louis. I will be on the road for almost a month with stops in Indianapolis, St. Louis, South Bend, the Chicago area and Manitowoc, WI.

I would also like to send along a special shout out today to my niece and nephew-in-law, Sarah and Dominick on their fourth wedding anniversary! Happy Anniversary Sarah and Dominick and many blessings today – have a great day and please say hello to your precious little Natalee Ann for me!

I pray for God’s blessings upon everyone’s day today that it will be filled with many positives and that the negatives will only be fleeting moments. Please know you are all in my prayers as I ask God’s blessings upon all you do, upon everyone you meet and upon everyone you love! May there be many words, signs and people of encouragement in your life today! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment