Monday, November 16, 2015

Daily Thoughts - 11/16/2015



Daily Thought: I have a couple of thoughts about our Gospel today, both are from my brother Passionists that I heard throughout the year...

Perhaps my first thought is not directly related to today Gospel but it is a good starting point for my thoughts today. I always remember some advice given me just after I was ordained by a wonderful older Passionist who was in the last years of his life. One day shortly have I was ordained he appeared at the door of my room and said, "Son, I don't have a lot to offer you these days but I will give you a bit of advice, always celebrate mass as if it is your first and your last!" I have always remembered this and certainly every time I have celebrated mass I have tried to celebrate as if it is my first and last mass. Yet, I know sometimes I don't have the initial energy, that first love that I had the day of my first mass. I don't have that sense of urgency that I would have if it were my last mass. But this image from saintly Passionist wisdom figure the message always reminds me of what God asks of me each day, "stay in love with me and live out of that love!"

At a community mass a couple of years ago one of my brother Passionist reflected on today's Gospel and he challenged us with the point that sometimes we would prefer not to see. The blind man in the Gospel wants to see but sometimes we find it easier not to see, it means less responsibility, less hurt or pain, less expectations on us. If I look into my own life I would have to say his observation is true. I think there have been times when I really didn't want to see, it was easier not to!

If we can find and enliven that first love for God, others and ourselves then we will always want to see! Or perhaps if we ask God in faith to see then our first love will once again come to life! May this day be one of seeing and rich in energy grounded in love!

Have a great Monday everyone!

Daily Prayer: God of Great Mystery, Giver of all good gifts, enliven our hearts with that first love of you, so that we might see all that is good in our world, in one another and in ourselves. Deepen our sense of reverence for you and for all of life. Nurture in us what is good and grace us in your ever loving care this day and always! Amen!

A Runner's Thoughts: "Run to glory, or at least to the end of the block!" or "Would we be doing any of this if Pheidippides had been in just a little better shape?" (Bob Schwartz)

Daily Blessing: Monday greetings and blessings to everyone! I hope you had a restful, relaxing and or productive weekend. Perhaps just resting and relaxing was the productivity that you needed! We have entered the last full week before the holiday season begins. It is hard to believe that Thanksgiving is approaching and Christmas and the New Year will not be far behind. I pray today that the holidays will not come and go too quickly and that all of us will find the time to be thankful and enjoy the gifts of family, friends and the presence of God in our life. Yes, you will have to give a lot of time to shopping and preparing but also try to give some time to God throughout this holiday season!

We continue today with the retreat here at Avila as the sisters call it, the Motherhouse of the Carmelite Sisters of the Aged and Infirm. Please keep the sisters in your prayers today as they journey through another day of retreat with yours truly. And if you could offer a little prayer for the retreat preacher it would be greatly appreciated.

My own prayer this morning continues to remember the victims of the attacks in Paris, Beirut and all the places in world caught in violence. I truly pray that as we approach this Holy Year of Mercy that God through his loving mercy will bless us with the gift of peace.

My prayer of blessing for everyone today is that during our journey through Thanksgiving, Advent, Christmas and the New Year God will bless us with the grace of a first love, of the gift of sight so that we might let go of the demons of terrorism, hate, racism, anger, bigotry and vengeance so that we might see all people as God’s gifts and have a faith that not only saves us but that brings peace to our life and the life of the world! Have a wonderful day and many blessings to see and love today and always! Peace in Christ's Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment