Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Daily Thoughts - 12/29/2015



Daily Thoughts: Feast of St. Thomas Becket – We find ourselves listening to the story of Simeon in our Gospel from Luke today (Luke 2:22-35). I have always liked the story of Simeon. It is a very tender scene. However, there is something missing in our Gospel today. From my perspective it should read just a few verses more so that we also encounter the story of Anna; to me it just seems natural to include both stories. Two people who have dedicated their lives to God waiting for this moment. You can hear the joy in their voices as they realize the purpose of their lives coming to completion, both embraced by the Holy Spirit graced with the gift of hope.

They do not sugar coat their message they tell it like it is – or should I say like it will be. There will be sorrow and struggle but also life. Rather than speak about the "rise and fall" Simeon speaks of the "fall and rise." The cross is part of Jesus' story but it is not the end. Death leads to life, doubt is embraced by faith, sorrow and struggle turns to joy!

Perhaps as we listen to Simeon today we need to remember that in being a person of faith our direction in life is always "upwards." Hope means that no matter how difficult things seem to get, no matter what the struggle – God is always with us. If we can be patience like Simeon and Anna the light of God will always direct our way, death, doubt, struggle and sorrow will become life, faith and joy!

Have a great Tuesday everyone and may you find peace, hope and joy as you journey through your day!

Daily Prayer: Grant, O Loving God, that I may never fall away in success or in failure; that I may not be prideful in prosperity nor dejected in adversity. Let me rejoice only in what unites us and sorrow only in what separates us. May I strive to please no one or fear to displease anyone except you. May I see always the things that are eternal and never those that are only temporal. May I shun any joy that is without you and never seek any that is beside you. O God, may I delight in any work I do for you and tire of any rest that is apart from you. Let me direct my heart towards you, and in my failings, always repent with a purpose of amendment. – Amen! (Adapted from a prayer by St. Thomas Aquinas, O.P.)

A Runner’s Thoughts: “It's important to know that, at the end of the day, it's not the medals you remember. What you remember is the process - what you learn about yourself by challenging yourself, the experiences you share with other people, the honesty the training demands - those are things nobody can take away from you whether you finish twelfth or you're an Olympic champion.” (Silken Laumann)

Daily Blessing: Tuesday greetings to all on this last Tuesday of 2015! If you are working during these days between Christmas and New Year’s I hope the time was not too stressful! We are making our way to the beginning of the New Year 2016. Hopefully this is not too busy a week for you.

The rain has returned to Pelham. It began last night as sleet but then turned to rain and I can hear it against my window this morning. I believe we are to have it all day. I think it is part of a major storm that has hit many parts of the country. After all it is winter so if the storm is affecting you and you need to be out and about or you need to travel a distance please be careful. Travel safe whether you are going a short or far distance.

My blessing prayer today is that God will bless us all with calm, peaceful and fun filled days as we prepare to bring in a New Year. May God bless any travel we will do in these last days of 2015. May God help us to enjoy these closing days of 2015 and look ahead with hope and joy to 2016. May God bless this day with a place of warmth with many smiles, the gift of laughter and people whom we love! Have a great Tuesday everyone! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment