Sunday, May 1, 2016

Daily Thoughts - 05/01/2016

Daily Thoughts: We find ourselves this Sunday being asked to see life differently. We are being asked to see life through the eyes of faith.

In the reading from the Acts of the Apostles the faith community struggles as it tries to grow, as it tries to welcome new members. There is a council; there is a meeting of the leadership. During this meeting I bet there was a lot of discussion, a lot of input, a lot of opinions and a lot of arguments. However, in the end the leadership, the community decided to change, it decided to grow. I am sure it was not easy because change is never easy.

In the reading from the Book of Revelation, John once again asks the communities to which he is writing to have hope in the future so that in the meantime they can continue to live out their faith.  John tells them there will be better times. In his vision today, John sees the New Jerusalem. It is the city that his churches are journeying to; it is the city we all are journeying to. As John describes it, the New Jerusalem is a wonderful city but it does not have a temple, it does not have a basilica, it has the eternal presence of God. The communities are to hold on to this vision, to hold on to this hope, they are to continue to be faith filled people.

In the Gospel, Jesus prepares his disciples for his Ascension, for the time when they will have to look at things differently. They will not be able to look to his physical presence when they struggle, when they are challenged and life gets difficult. But they will have the Holy Spirit to guide and direct them. The Holy Spirit will help them to remember the Good News. The Holy Spirit will help them to see life differently and continue to bring the presence of God to the world.

We are reminded today that as people of faith we are to look at life differently. If we are willing to do so we will be gifted by the Holy Spirit with the strength of faith, a vision of hope and the embrace of God’s love. We are asked to live on as people of faith who are not troubled or afraid!

Have a great Sunday!

Daily Prayer: Lord, grant that I may always allow myself to be guided by you, always follow your plans, and perfectly accomplish your holy will. Grant that in all things, great and small, today and all the days of my life, I may do whatever you require of me. Help me respond to the slightest prompting of your grace, so that I may be your trustworthy instrument for your honor. May your will be done in time and eternity by me, in me, and through me. Amen! (Prayer by St. Teresa of Avila)

A Runner’s Thoughts: “If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.” (Michael Jordan) So to in the spiritual life…

Daily Blessing: Sunday greetings and blessings to all! I write to you this morning from Fremont, Ohio my stopping point yesterday evening on my journey from Wisconsin to Greensburg, PA. It was a very rainy drive yesterday and I have the feeling I am in for more of the same today. In fact, it appears that I will have rain with me all week but at least the temperature will be a little warmer.

I hope your Sunday is starting off well. If you are dealing with rain just think of it as holdover April showers that will bring beautiful May flowers. Yes, we find ourselves in May today my how time flies when you are having fun!

As I pause for my Sunday morning prayer, I call upon a little saying that I have always liked, “Prayer may not change things for you, but it for sure changes you for things.” So my prayer of blessing for all of you this Sunday morning is to simply say a little prayer for you that you will be ready for all the things you face today and that whatever you encounter will be a blessing from God that will enliven, energize and gift your day! If you are traveling today, travel safe; if you are relaxing and enjoying a Sunday do it with energy and enthusiasm, and if you encounter struggles and difficulties today remember you are not alone God always walks with you!

I will greet you tomorrow from Greensburg, PA as I will begin my retreat with the Sisters of Charity at Seton Hill this evening. Please offer a prayer sometime today for the sisters who will be making the retreat and their preacher. Also remember to give God a little time today! Peace in Christ’s Passion and Joy in the Risen Lord…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment