Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Daily Thoughts - 05/18/2016

Daily Thoughts: The message of Jesus today is a very simple one, but often we don’t want to hear it.  Help the poor, love our enemies and don’t be so obsessed with wealth and power. All wonderful ideas and ones we cheer with our whole heart. Well, most of it.

Today’s readings challenge us not to be so confident and self-assured. Not to be arrogant. In the first reading, James cautions us not to count on our own plans to get us through life because “you have no idea what your life will be like tomorrow. You are a puff of smoke that appears briefly and then disappears.”

Maybe that lack of control in life is what makes us less willing to turn our life so completely over to God. In the morning, we can pray to surrender our whole life to Jesus. Then we spend the rest of the day wresting it back from him a little at a time. “Let us have just this one part back,” We will bargain. “Oh, and that one, too.”

We don’t like not being in control and all Jesus is asking is that we trust in him more. We don’t have to know what is over the next hill or the next week. But if we trust in Jesus’ presence in our life and in his loving care for us, whatever does come in life will be easier for us, whether we are in “control” or not.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

Daily Prayer: May God the Father who made us bless us. May God the Son send his healing among us. May God the Holy Spirit move within us and give us eye to see with, ears to hear with, and hands that your work might be done. May we walk and preach the word of God to all. May the angel of peace watch over us and lead us at last by God’s grace to the kingdom. Amen. (Prayer by St. Dominic)

A Runner’s Thoughts: “I don’t run to add days to my life, I run to add life to my days.” (Ronald Rook) So too in the spiritual life…

Daily Blessing: Wednesday greetings and blessings to all! Well we survived the leaving of Very Special Agent Anthony Di Nozzo last night on NCIS. Not what I expected but a rather unique way to move him along and begin a new era. If you are not an NCIS fan then it was another night in the never ending saga of The Donald, Hillary and Bernie. Ah, would it be nice if they all just move on to somewhere other than here!

It looks to be another cloudy day here in Pelham perhaps with some rain or not. I think we are to get near 70 today. I hope it is a nicer day by you! I will be off in the little while to St. Joseph’s Seminary to conduct a Confirmation Day with the students of St. Barnabas School. This is the second half of the Confirmation class. If you remember I had a day with the first half last month. If you get a chance, please offer a prayer for these eight graders as they make their final preparation for Confirmation today. And a little prayer for their presenter would be greatly appreciated!

My prayer of blessing is a prayer asking for healing. So often I am asked to pray for someone who is struggling with illness or some other kind of difficulty. I always say that I will certainly pray for them but today I would like to bring that prayer to you. O God, I pray today bringing before you all who are in need your healing touch. Grant my friends, my family and all who ask for my prayers, comfort in their struggles. If they are afraid give them courage. If they are afflicted, ill, struggling, depressed, confused, frustrated give them patience. If they are dejected afford them hope. If they feel alone assure them of your presence and my prayers and the prayers of many. Bless them with your healing. Bless all who read this blog, this prayer of blessing today with your loving presence. Amen! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment