Thursday, June 9, 2016

Daily Thoughts - 06/09/2016

Daily Thought: I ran across a quote by David Benner the author of Healing Emotional Wounds, “Forgiveness…is letting go – letting go of the anger, letting go of the right to retaliate, and letting go of the right to savour any of the emotional consequences of the hurt." I have always reflected with people who were struggling with forgiveness that forgiveness is about letting go. It is about moving beyond the hurt. Yet often people think that forgiveness means forgetting.

The wisdom in Brenner’s reflection is that he is not saying that we forget that we let go of the experience itself but that we let go of the human effects of being hurt that can often paralyze us. Perhaps said another way we need to let go so we can get beyond being a victim.

I think this is what Jesus is getting at in the God today (Matthew 5:20-26). In order for the commandment of love, which we reflected on yesterday, to fully be part of our life we have to let go of the anger, retaliation and the victimization that being hurt can often bring about.

Jesus talks about taking the high road. Jesus speaks about being the bigger person. Jesus teaches us the importance and power of love. However, there is one thing we always need to remember none of this is easy and sometimes taking the high road, being the bigger person, living by love can open us up to be hurt once again. It can also mean being rejected.  The commandment of love requires that we be forgiving people, to seek forgiveness and to offer forgiveness whether it is successful or not.

So we pray for the strength and the grace to be people willing to seek forgiveness and be forgiving!

Have a great Thursday everyone!

Daily Prayer: Loving God, you know the ways that we treat people that we do not like. You know that we judge them, we avoid them, we gossip about them, we hassle them. However, wanting to be your people of faith, your people of love, we do not want to be this way, to treat people this way anymore. So we ask you for the grace and strength to learn how to be forgiving people today and always. We want to learn how to forgive and also how to ask for forgiveness when we struggle and fail. Help us God to be a forgiving people just as you are forgiving! We pray this today and always the Jesus Christ, your Son and our friend. Amen!

A Runner’s Thoughts: Running can be so symbolic of life and faith. In running like in life we have to drive ourselves to overcome the obstacles. At times we feel that we just cannot do it. But then we find an inner strength, an inner presence and realize that we are capable of so much more than we thought. And like in faith when we run we often realize that we are not alone. That God runs with us!

Daily Blessing: Thursday greetings and blessings to everyone! Life seems a bit busy these days. But I still always enjoy sitting down and sharing a few thoughts when I can!

We finished the mission last evening at St. Ephrem’s and it was a good closing, very spirit filled. I enjoyed my time at St. Ephrem’s very much. After the closing last night, I made my way home across the city and this morning I am off early to have my car serviced and to celebrate mass at the Wartburg Home. No rest for the weary. I hope your Thursday is starting off well wherever you are.


A shout out and prayers to and for my brother, Jim, this morning who is dealing with kidney stones. Get better very soon bro! As I mentioned have a glass of Guinness!
The next few days will be days of preparation to hit the road. On Saturday I will begin my two-week journey to Ohio and Kentucky. I have a few things to get ready before leaving. This is one reason why I am off to have my car served today. It looks to be a beautiful sunny day here in Pelham today. Temperature this morning is certainly cooler than other days this past week. I think we can look forward to a few nice days ahead.

My prayer of blessing today is that your Thursday has started off well and will continue to be a good day. May God bless your work, your relationships and most importantly you today! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment