Thursday, August 25, 2016

Daily Thoughts - 08/25/2016

Daily Thoughts: “God is always trying to give good things to us, but our hands are too full to receive them.” (St. Augustine of Hippo) I was thinking about these words from St. Augustine in terms of our Gospel today (Matthew 24: 42a, 44). Yes, I know that Jesus is focused on the end time, whether it be his final coming or the day that God calls each of us individually. Yes, we need to be awake and ready because not be ready, not being awake has dreadful consequences, (see wailing and grinding of teeth).

However, I believe Jesus words of “Stay Awake!” or maybe put another way “Be Ready!” can be looked at another way. Jesus might not be just talking about the end time or the day God calls each of us home, he might also be talking about this moment and what we are missing if we are not awake or ready. What graces? What joys? What blessings? What experiences of God’s presence are we missing if we are not awake, if we are not ready?

It is not always about the negative, about the end time, about wailing and grinding of teeth. It is also about the opportunities we miss each day, each moment of our life because God is trying to give us good things but our hands are too full!

Have a great Thursday everyone!

Daily Prayer: I pray, most gentle Jesus, deliver me from all evils, past, present, and to come. Give me a lively faith, a firm hope, and perfect charity, so that I may love you with all my heart, and all my soul, and all my strength. Make me steadfast in good works and grant me perseverance in your service, so that I may please you always. Amen (Prayer by St. Clare of Assisi)

A Runner’s Thoughts: “I don’t wear earbuds or track my heart rate. Running is not about performance for me—it’s a solitary thing, a kind of meditation.” (John Luther Adams)

Daily Blessings: Thursday greetings and blessings to all! I hope your day is starting off well. It is another beautiful day here in Long Beach. It is so nice when the humidity is low. It makes all the difference sleeping and enjoying the day! I hope you are getting a chance to enjoy the beauty of nature where you are today!

My prayer of blessing for all you today is that our Loving God, the giver of all good gifts, will bless you today with hearts that love you, so that by deepening your sense of respect and reverence for yourself you may nurture within yourselves and others only what is good. May God bless you with a watchful care throughout this day so that wherever you go and whatever you do it will be in, and through and with God. May God bring you home safe to those you love that you might celebrate the gift of family, of friendship, of community, of your love so that your sleep will be restful and you will be energized to welcome tomorrow! May God bless your journey through this day! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment