Thursday, September 1, 2016

Daily Thoughts - 09/01/2016

Daily Thoughts: “Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man.” I am not sure how many times I have uttered these words in my own mind over the last 36 plus years. It seemed very simple 36 years ago, I got rid of most of my possessions and packed up what was left in my little orange Chevy Vega and headed east from St. Louis to Philadelphia to begin my journey into religious life and priesthood. At the time it seemed freeing, liberating. Yet not long after arriving in Philadelphia did the doubts and struggles started, the challenges of letting go of people, possessions and a way of life.

And to make matters more challenging throughout these 36 plus years there have been amazing moments when I have paused and said, “Why am I here? Depart from me, Lord, I don’t deserve this, I am a sinful man!” It is the ebb and flow of life that makes who I am, who any person of faith is a challenge. One moment we are in the midst of everyday life, doing what is expected, doing what we always do and then God seems to step in, in a profound way and we feel humbled, we feel undeserving.

I had one of those moments last summer when I was the sitter for my three grand nieces, ages 9, 5 and 1for about 30 hours. Encountering the gift of life, of creation, the gift of love and the gift of family that these three little women offered me was a humbling experience. The 30 hours with them was a challenging and at times a struggling experience for someone like me who usually only experience this kind of love and family life from a distance. But then you get the opportunity to be with three wonderful little women and you recognize the profound presence of God just like Peter did. And you think to yourself “I don’t deserve this, I am a sinful man!” 

However even though undeserving like Peter and the rest of the crew on the seashore that day each morning I rise and follow Jesus once again. If you happened to encounter God in a profound way today and have that feeling that you don’t deserve it remember you are in good company!

Have a great Thursday everyone…

Daily Prayer: Loving Jesus, you are the love that gives love. You are higher than the highest star, you are deeper than the deepest sea; you cherish us as your own family; you embrace us as your own spouse; you grace us as your own people; you welcome us as your own dearest friends. Let us and all the world praise you today! Amen. (Adapted from a prayer by St. Hildegard of Bingen)

A Runner’s Thoughts: The battles that count aren't the ones for gold medals, the struggles within yourself – the invisible, inevitable battles inside all of us – that’s where it's at. (Jesse Owens) So too in the spiritual life…


Daily Blessing: Thursday greetings and blessings to everyone and happy first day of September. I hope the beginning of this new day and month finds you well and energized for a new adventure! It is a rainy and humid morning here in in Pelham. I didn’t realize we were going to have rain today. They say we will have showers in the morning and then a chance for storms in the afternoon. It is not going to be hot just muggy. I hope the weather is better wherever you are today.



Later this morning I will head to the Wartburg Home for mass at 11:00 am and then it will be on to our parish in Jamaica for the delivery of a new organ for the Lower Church and a meeting about our first taping day for the Sunday Mass. If any of you in the New York area know a painter who is looking for some work could you give them my name and phone number. We need some painting done in the Lower Church and I am having a hard time connecting with a painter.


My prayer of blessing for you on this first day of September is that like Peter in today’s gospel God will bless you with a profound experience of his presence and if it makes you consider your unworthiness that God will give you the strength and courage to continue on! May God bless your day with the richness of love, hope and joy! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

1 comment:

  1. I just love when light enters the night of a faith desert time in my life... Faith indeed is a journey, not all or nothing... But one I too, must keep working at... Thank you, Paul for your work... Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete