Saturday, January 26, 2013

January 26th Daily Thoughts - 01/26/2013

Daily Thoughts: It is always nice to celebrate the Feast of the Conversion of St. Paul and then to remember his two friends Timothy and Titus the next day. I think if I had ever married and had more than one son, I would have considered the names Timothy and Titus. My first born son would have received the name Paul, there would have been no discussion about that!

I find the readings interesting today. The Gospel is short and to the point. The crowds are pressing in on Jesus, he does not have a moment to breath, pray or eat and his family and friends are not too sure about all that he is doing, they go so far as to say, "He is out of his mind." I have always found that an interesting line in the Gospel. I don't think we often, if ever, use the phrase, "He us out of his mind." to describe Jesus. It almost seem irreverent! Yet that is what his family and friends thought and in a way it is comforting. I don't know how often people have thought that "I am out of my mind," because of the things I have done or the busyness of my life or the thoughts that I express or the stands that I take. It is comforting to know that at least for a moment Jesus and I share the same struggle concerning how people see us.

Perhaps many of the the things Jesus did, experienced and lived out seem crazy. How often today does someone point out that Jesus would have done it this way and because it doesn't fit with how we very life we think or say the person is crazy. Jesus asks us to do a lot of crazy things, love our enemies, pray for our persecutor, forgive, be in the company of sinners, accept people for who they are, step across boundaries in order to bring about healing and life. It may seem crazy, in doing these things it might seem like we are out of our minds, but remember we are in good company!

My last thought about today's readings comes from Paul's Second Letter to Timothy. In it Paul says to Timothy, "For this reason, I remind you to stir into flame the gift of God that you have through the imposition of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice but rather of power and love and self-control. So do not be ashamed of your testimony to our Lord...but bear your share of hardship for the Gospel with the strength that comes from God." I love the first line of this section of the letter, "stir into flame the gift of God." In other words be alive, be energized, be excited about the gift of your friendship with God. I have often thought this would be a good quote to begin each day with among others.

So friends as you travel through this day, stir your gift from God into a the flame of life and don't worry if people think you are out of your mind because you are not alone!

Daily Prayer: O God, we are out of our mind in love with you today. Help us to stir into a flame the fire of  this love so that may never be ashamed of our friendship with you. Entrust us with the the power and hope of peace and your love in this life and the gift of eternal life with you. Amen!

Runner's Thought: Try to transform your run today from just a run to a sacred experience by letting God run with you!

Happy Saturday everyone! Hopefully the deep freeze is beginning to break near you and if you are in a warm place hopefully the deep freeze will not find you. I want to send a shout out to all women out there with the name Lois and Eunice. You got a special mention today in the first reading from Paul's Second Letter to Timothy because as the grandmother and mother of Timothy Paul thinks you did a great job! So many blessing today to all those who are named Lois and Eunice especially if you are mom's and grand mom's! Blessings to all on your journey through Saturday see you on Sunday! Peace in Christ's Passion...Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment