Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sunday January 27th Daily Thoughts - 01/27/2013

Daily Thoughts: Late last night after a nice evening with some friends I was watching one of my favorite movies the "Shawshank Redemption." There is one scene that I always wait for, Andy is sitting out along one of the walls of the prison and Red comes and sits with him. They have a conversation about life, specifically Andy's life. At one point Andy says, "I guess you either get busy living or get busy dying!"

This phrase has always stayed with me from the first time I saw the movie I think because it states a real truth about life. A truth that I believe Luke and Jesus ask us to think about in today's Gospel. We do have choices in life, they have been with us since the first moment of creation and the choice Luke, asks Theophilus to make and the choice Jesus makes is to "get busy about living!"

The breath of Jesus' life and ministry centers on the living of life, being the person God has created us to be. I have of preached on this passage of Luke's Gospel and said it presents two pictures, one of a day in the life of Jesus and the other of a day in the life of each of us. The difference between the two pictures is that we know the end of Jesus' story, we know that he fulfilled all of the words of Isaiah the Prophet that he read in the synagogue that day but we do not know the end of our story. What will we do with our life? What words of a prophet, of an evangelist, of an apostle, a saint, of Jesus will we fulfill?

We have two choice in this life to either be "busy about living or busy about dying." Which choice will you choose today? I hope it is to be busy about living!

Daily Prayer: O God, Creator of all good things, enliven your love that is within us so that we will always be busy about living. Busy about living our faith in you. Busy about living in your hope for us and our world. Busy about living your love which brought us into being and walks with us every step of this journey of life. Busy about living a life in which all life and all people are reverenced as your creation. Busy about living in your peace which means respect rather than judgment. Amen!

Runner's Thought: Remember each run helps you embark on a pilgrimage of the ordinary which often leads you to the extraordinary and sacred!

Blessings this Day of the Lord everyone! If you are a baseball fan and haven't seen Bob Costas' eulogy for Stan Musial it is worth the time. I would like to send a shout out to Jess and David Lorden and say thanks for a very nice dinner and even better conversation and company last night! This is my last weekend until May of not being busy so I am enjoying it as best I can. Starting next weekend I will be on the road hopefully busy about living by proclaiming the Good News! Have a great day everyone. May you find time for family and friend if they are near. May you get a little time to relax if the busyness of life allows you some. May you find the gift of life and peace in all you do today! Peace in Christ's Passion...Fr. Paul

PS Remember to stop by my new web site www.preacherman.org!

No comments:

Post a Comment