Friday, February 22, 2013

Daily Lenten Thoughts

Daily Thoughts: Today we celebrate the Feast of the Chair of St. Peter and our thoughts and prayers are with Pope Benedict, a humble and courageous man who knew when it was time. Some might criticize him for stepping down but I admire him for being honest, for being faithful, for letting go and letting God!

The Gospel today is one of my favorites that scene when Jesus asks the disciples, "Who do people say that I am?" I know scripture scholars do not interpret this question a Jesus wanting to know what people think, however each time I hear it that is where my thoughts go. This scene for me makes Jesus a little more human in my book.

He asks who to people say that he is, and then he asks the disciple who they say he is. Don't we all want to know the answer to these questions about ourselves? What do people think of us? What are they saying about us? We wonder what people in general whom we meet and perhaps work with think about us. We wonder what our friends really think. They are questions that we would like answered.

For me, I think Jesus did too, perhaps not for the same reasons we do, but I think it was important for him to know. Maybe he wanted to know how his message was getting across. Maybe he wanted to know how well his disciples were paying attend, were learning. Maybe it was a way to know just how well their relationship had grown.

As always we can count on Peter to bring life to the moment. Without hesitation he responds to Jesus' question with what was in his heart, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." You can almost hear the love in Peter's voice. This heartfelt reaction and answer to the question and Jesus says, "Blessed are you Simon....For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father." Peter was speaking from the depth of his soul. He would still struggle in his relationship with Jesus, there would be more mistakes but Peter had his hand of the pulse of his friendship with Jesus.

Perhaps Pope Benedict does too; maybe his decision wasn't a flesh and blood decision but one revealed by God. As people of faith perhaps we need to trust that Pope Benedict is a shepherd who doesn't lord it over us but is an example to us.

Let us remember the words of St. John of the Cross, "In all our necessities, trials, and difficulties, no better or safer aid exists for us than prayer and hope that God will provide for us by the means God desires."

Daily Lenten Prayer: Good Jesus, we desire to answer the question of who you are in our lives with the conviction of Peter. You are the Christ, the Son of the living God and you are never far from our hearts. Guide us, through the struggles of this day. Make us aware of your presence and enable us to trust in that presence. You are our Shepherd and knowing that means we will want for nothing. Grace us with the strength stake our life on this promise today and always. Amen!

Runner's Thought: Let us run today no matter what circumstances we encounter. There are lessons to be learned from running in various emotional states, just as there are when running in different environmental settings. Let's not shy away from running in an unaccustomed state of mind or an unusual situation. Opportunities for encountering God often are found in the unfamiliar.

TGIF everyone! I hope you will have a wonderful end to the work week that will lead you into a relaxing and restful weekend. My thoughts and prayers this morning are with a little girl in Shelby, NC who is not feeling well, a high temp and a bad throat. I am praying for healing for her and peace of mind for her mom, dad and her sister!

In a little while I will be off to the airport so that I can spend my day making my way to Bismarck, ND. No direct flights so I will be flying first to Denver and then on to Bismarck. It looks like it will not be as cold there this coming week as it has been this past week and for that I am most grateful; however any way you look at it I will not be enjoying a day at the beach! I ask your prayers of the faith community at Corpus Christi Parish this coming week and for their preacher that we might have a faith filled mission.

Be well everyone and if you can take some time to enjoy life! Peace in Christ's Passion...Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment