Saturday, June 22, 2013

Daily Thoughts - 06/22/2013

Daily Thought: “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness” (2 Corinthians 12:1-10). I have come to realize just how true this statement is. God’s grace is enough and power is much more powerful when it comes out of weakness.

We spend a good portion of our life seeking some sort of power; the power of love, the power of fame, the power of important, the power of success, the power of accomplishment,, the power of wealth, the power of comfort, the power of self. There are many powers that we seek, yet it is only when we realize that we are powerless that the true power, the power of God is be recognized.

It is at the moments of our life when we let go and let God that we are truly powerful people. It is at the moments of our life when we trust in the grace of God that we are truly powerful people.

Now this is not an easy answer to come to, sometimes it takes a life time. Just look at St. Paul’s life. It took an experience of the Risen Christ along the road to Damascus for Paul to begin to understand real power in his life.

Often for us, it is not a profound experience of the Risen Christ but the ordinary struggles, challenges and sorrows of life that can help us come to the source of real power. It is coming to the realization that we cannot serve two masters as Jesus points out in the Gospel (Matthew 6:24-34). It is making the conscious choice to put God at the center of our life. It is trusting that when we are weak we are strong. It is not worrying about tomorrow but living today!

Daily Prayer: “My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it. Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.” ― Thomas Merton, Thoughts in Solitude

Runner’s Thought: Running can be a time for finding out who we really are, it is time on the road, the sidewalk, the trial with no one to measure our distance but ourselves.  Running can be finding out our true character as we run lap after lap. It can be not giving up when exhausted and journeying to the finish. Running can help us to trust in ourselves and know somehow that God’s grace is enough for us.

Saturday greetings to all! I hope your Saturday has started off well? It is a beautiful day here in Pelham as it has been for the last few days. Yes, summer has arrived in all its beauty.

I was sitting out in our backyard last evening waiting for the other community members to get home for dinner and my thoughts went back to my days in Riverdale. I realized if I were there I would have been sitting on the roof yesterday evening enjoying the beauty of the Great River. It saddened me for a moment but then I was glad to have the memory still alive within me.

Well friends have a great day wherever you are. May you be gifted and blessed with smiles, laughter, family, friends, fun and peace today! And be safe out there! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment