Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Daily Thoughts - 09/03/2013

Daily Thoughts: “Our duty, as men and women, is to proceed as if limits to our ability did not exist. We are collaborators in creation.” (Pierre Teilhard de Chardin)

This quote by the great philosopher, theologian Pierre Teilhard de Chardin came to mind as I was praying earlier day and making some final adjustments to a homily that I preached this morning to a high school faculty. The readings for the day (1Thess 5:1-6, 9-11 and Luke 4:31-37) speak about being a teacher and trusting in what we know and the gifts we have.

In his First Letter to the Thessalonians Paul is asking the community to trust in what they believe in, in other words to have faith. He points to the things going on around them, the uncertainly of their times and that some people are saying, “Peace and security,” in other words everything is fine, while others are say “ruin and disaster,” in other words, life is a mess! Paul says let’s trust in our relationship with God. Let’s be faith filled people and live life “as if limits to our ability [do] not exist.” Let work with God.

Jesus on the other hand in the Gospel is helping people to experience the gift of God in their lives. His teaching has power and authority. But what gives Jesus’ teaching so much power and authority? We might say it is because he is the Son of God and we would not be wrong. But I think Jesus’ teaching had power and authority because of how he treated people. In the Gospel today he expels a demon spirit so that a man can get on with his life. Over and over again Jesus takes people where they are and helps them to grow, to recognize the grace and presence of God in their lives.

Jesus knows that limits to our ability do not exist, because anything is possible with God. So let’s live this day in God’s presence. Let’s look beyond what appear to be our limits and let’s work with God to make a better world. Let’s be collaborators with God to bring about peace!

Daily Prayer:
Lord, make us instruments of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let us sow love,
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
And where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that we may not so much seek
 to be consoled as to console,
 to be understood as to understand,
 to be loved, as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive,
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.”
(Adapted from a the prayer attributed to St. Francis of Assisi)

Runner’s Thought: “The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” (John Bingham) The miracle is also trusting in the presence of God, then finding, embracing and acknowledging that presence as we run!

Happy Tuesday everyone! And happy first day of school to all teachers and students who headed out the door this morning for the first time. I know there are many who have been at school for a while already, but here in New York today was the beginning in many places. I pray that all students and those who help them to learn and grow will have a great year!

I hope everyone else had a nice Labor Day weekend and that you were able to let go of work a little and just celebrate life with family and friends. It is hard to believe that it is already September. My how time flies when you are having fun!

In some ways I have a busy fall ahead of me in other ways I do not. Ministry in these next few months will be a little light unless I can pick up some last minutes jobs here and there but I do have a full schedule of running over the next three months. Three marathons in three months, now where was my brain when I thought this one up? I am nervous but also looking forward to the challenge as I close in on my 60th birthday.

Just a reminder I will be running NYC Marathon in memory of my good friend Roseann Quinn who died two years ago. This will be the third time I have tried to run it in her memory so I am hoping three is a charm. You might remember Roseann died from cancer and I am running in her memory for Fred’s Team. The team raises money to help Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Hospital.  I have reached 84% of my goal of $10,000. I know many of you have already given over the last two years but if you haven’t or know someone who would like to give to please stop by my fundraising page - http://mskcc.convio.net/site/TR/FredsTeamEvents/Freds_Team?px=1984802&pg=personal&fr_id=1930

I certain appreciate any help you can give so that I can reach my goal!

Have a great Tuesday everyone! A big shout out to my niece Mindy who celebrates her birthday today – Have a Great Day Mindy!

And please join me in praying for peace in Syria, Egypt and everywhere else in the world where people wake up each day and have to live with violence. Pope Francis has asked us to fast and pray for peace on Saturday September 7th. I will be fasting and praying before the Blessed Sacrament on Saturday from 7 pm until Midnight here in our little chapel in Pelham. I ask you to join me in spirit at some point during that time by giving up something a TV show, a football game, a baseball game or something, and spend just a little time in prayer. Let’s believe that all things are possible with God and so our prayer can make a difference.

Again, blessings today upon everyone! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment