Saturday, September 7, 2013

Daily Thoughts - 09/07/2013

Daily Thoughts: Here are some thoughts to consider as we perhaps take some time to stand in solidarity with Pope Francis today and pray for peace…

“Peace demands the most heroic labor and the most difficult sacrifice. It demands greater heroism than war. It demands greater fidelity to the truth and a much more perfect purity of conscience.” (Thomas Merton)

“The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children.” (Dietrich Bonhoeffer)

These two quotes perhaps reflect a spirit that hopefully we as individuals, as a country and as a world can draw upon today and in the days, weeks, months and years ahead.

Please take some time to pray for peace today. The craziness of culture, society and the world around us affects us all. The violence of evil makes its way into everyone’s life. When we pray for peace it in not just about war, it is about the way violence, conflict, evil and a loss of respect for life makes its way into all of our lives. We are all affected by the violence and the unrest of our world. It touches individuals, families, neighborhoods, friendships, communities, cites, nations and all aspects of life no matter how protected we think we are.

Peace demands heroic strength and faithfulness. A world at peace is truly what we want to leave the children of this, isn’t it?

Please join Pope Francis and join me today in making a sacrifice by offering something up or doing something special and praying all for the cause of peace. You don’t have to pray all day; you don’t have to give up anything for life. Just make a little sacrifice today and spend a little time in prayer. Believe me it will not cost much but it just might lead us to a better world!

Please know I will be praying with you and for you intentions today. As I said earlier in the week I will be praying before the Blessed Sacrament in our little chapel here in Pelham from 7 pm until midnight today. You and your intentions will be a part of my prayer as I join Pope Francis in praying for peace.

Daily Prayer:
Lord, make us instruments of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let us sow love,
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
And where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that we may not so much seek
 to be consoled as to console,
 to be understood as to understand,
 to be loved, as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive,
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.”
(Adapted from a the prayer attributed to St. Francis of Assisi)

Runner’s Thought: “When you've had the perfect run, you've cleared your soul.”
(From Runner’s World Quote of the Day - Pat Monahan, lead singer of Train) I would say it doesn’t even have to be a perfect run; sometimes a really tough run or just an ordinary run can still be a way to clear your heart, mind and soul. And when you can clear your heart, mind and soul you are not far from peace!

Happy Saturday everyone! I know I haven’t been as consistent in posting each day and I really have no good reason, just being a little lazy the last week or so!

I hope life is going well for all of you these early days of September. While I have been lazy in certain parts of my life the weather has certain produced some energy in other parts of my life. It is a joy to run these days without oppressive humidity. I no longer return home like as if I ran through a rain storm! The change in weather has also helped my preparation for my three upcoming marathons which I desperately needed!

I need to send a shout out to the Wieck Clan as they gather to celebrate the second game of the new college football program at UNC Charlotte! Their first game was last week and they got a big win. Today they play Chowan (whoever they are) hopefully it will be another win. As I write the Wieck Clan probably just finished up their morning tailgate breakfast and are getting ready for kickoff! Go 49ers!

I hope the weather where you are has helped your energy too. I pray that life is going well for you and that the stress and struggles that are always a part of life are not too great for you these days. Please know that you are often in my thoughts and always in my prayers.

And don’t forget Monday is International Buy a Priest a Beer Day. All contributions for beer will be accepted!

And as I mentioned in my Daily Thoughts please take some time to pray for peace today. Believe me it will not be time waste! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment