Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Daily Thoughts - 12/17/2013

Daily Thoughts: In today’s Gospel (Matthew 1: 1-17), we are reminded that Jesus was part of the great human family. A family made up of saints and sinners and everything in between. It might seem tedious to read this long list of names many of whom we know nothing about and some that seem very familiar. I use to get so nervous when Matthew’s or Luke’s genealogy would appear as the Gospel, but over the years I began to feel comfortable with it and now I even look forward to proclaiming this Gospel. I guess I have grown familiar with the case of characters!

Isn’t that what life is about growing accustom to life. See people and things differently. Telling the stories that reminds us who we are and from where we have come. Remembering the characters good and bad that have made up our life and molded us into the people we are today.

When we read or hear the genealogy of Christ whether from Matthew or Luke we are reminded that even though Jesus his God, he is also human, also part of this great human family and the characters, the women and men, who believed, who struggled, said yes and sometimes no, who embraced a relationship with God and sometimes didn’t, who lived life made it possible for Jesus to come into this world to embrace us with his love.

Here’s to the characters in all of our lives. Here’s to the characters of the human family. Here’s to Joseph and Mary the last in the story today who said yes that we might celebrate Jesus the Christ!

Have a great afternoon and evenings everyone!

Daily Prayer: Loving God, creator of all the times and seasons of our lives. Grace us with a faith this day that is grounded in the characters of our lives who have made it possible for us to be the women and men we are today. Gift us with the wisdom to remember the stories of our life and help us to life the story of today and make you presence once again. Amen!

Runner’s Thought: “Your body will argue that there is no justifiable reason to continue. Your only recourse is to call on your spirit, which fortunately functions independently of logic.” (Tim Noakes) Thankfully our spirits run on faith, hope and the presence of God!

Daily Blessing: Happy Tuesday everyone! Sorry my posting are a little late today but I had an early morning dentist appointment and a funeral, thankfully not my own! I had the great privilege of celebrating the funeral of a Sister of Charity today who over the years reminded me of my mother. They had a certain physical resemblance but it was more about their mannerisms and expressions. I did not know Sr. Mary very well but when I use to celebrate mass at Mount St. Vincent Convent I would look out and see her and she reminded me of Mom in better times. I never told her but I was always grateful to Sr. Mary for helping me remember Mom at her best especially when she struggled in the closing years of her life.

I hope all of you are having a good day. We are encountering another blast of snow here in Pelham and the NY area today. Right now as 2:00 pm approaches the snow doesn’t seem to be letting up – and it is not even winter yet! I have this feeling it is going to be a long one.

Our mission at Nativity of Our Blessed Lady in the Bronx is going well. We had a nice little community of faith last night with a lot of spirit and energy. I look forward to our time tonight – I just hope the snow stops so people can make it out. Please continue to keep the faith community of Nativity of Our Blessed Lady in your prayers and also the preacher.

I pray for God’s blessing on all of us today. May God enliven our spirits and enable us to bring the Good News in word and deed wherever we go and to whomever we meet. May we travel safe, live this day in God presence and rest this night in God’s peace. Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment