Saturday, December 21, 2013

Daily Thoughts - 12/21/2013



Daily Thoughts: “How does this happen to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me?” Words uttered by Elizabeth in today’s Gospel (Luke 1:39-45). Yet I think they are also words uttered by us at times when we recognize Mary’s presence in our life.

Yes, I firmly believe that I have been visited by Mary at moments in my life. Mary has come to me at times when I needed a mother’s presence either to comfort me or put me back on the straight and narrow. Times when I needed that hug or when I needed a stern but loving word to set me straight. Mary has come at times when the gift of family was strong and ever present and when I was alone and need to know that family was still there.

Mary walks into our lives often and like Elizabeth we often recognize her presence and God’s presence at once because something inside us leaps for joy. However, there are other times when it takes us a little longer to recognize her presence and the presence of God. Sometimes it is long after they have visited us that we are able to acknowledge their presence.

Mary reminds us today that mothers are so important. They not only give us life. They carry us until we can face the world. They protect us. They nurture us. They teach us and they make Mary and Christ present to us throughout our lives!

Perhaps like Elizabeth today as we think of our own mothers, as we think about pregnant mothers, as we think about all mothers we should remember how gifted we are that the mother of our Lord should come to us. We celebrate this day in gratitude for all the mothers!

Have a great day everyone.

Daily Prayer: Loving God, like Elizabeth in today’s Gospel we pause in gratitude for the many visits that Mary has made to our lives. We give thanks for those visits as they were made present by our own mothers. With the gift of life, our mothers carried us in their wombs and gave me life. Like Mary and Elizabeth they tenderly, patiently cared for us and taught us to walk and talk. They read to us and made us laugh. No one delighted in our successes more; no one could comfort us better in our failures. We are grateful as we remember the gift of Mary during our journey to Christmas, for how our mothers, nurtured us and mentored me, and even disciplined me.

In the spirit of Mary and Elizabeth, please bless our mothers and all mothers, Lord, whether they are living or deceased. Comfort them, help them to have loving hearts and to continue to love and give of themselves to others. Strengthen them when they are down and give them hope when they are discouraged.

Most of all, God, during the seasons of Advent and Christmas, give all mothers the graces they most need and desire.  We pray this, grateful for the gifts of Mary and Elizabeth and all mothers in the name of Jesus, our Savior. Amen!

Runner’s Thoughts: “As every runner knows, running is about more than just putting one foot in front of the other; it is about our lifestyle and who we are.”
(Joan Benoit Samuelson) Again someone who reflects on running also tells us about faith too. Faith is more than putting one foot in front of another, more than just going to mass. It is about a lifestyle, a way of seeing the world, not through just our own eyes but through the eyes of God. Faith is who we are. It is as a part of our life as taking a breath.

Daily Blessing: Happy Saturday everyone! Yes, the last weekend before Christmas. I hope this finds you not too busy with last minute shopping or preparations. For those who will be traveling during these next few days please be safe and if you can give yourselves a little extra time. I know that part of the country will be hit with bad weather.  We here in Pelham are awaiting a couple of days of rain before the cold returns. I hope you all will be able to get where you are going and settle in for a blessed and holy Christmas celebration with people you love.

As for today’s Daily Blessing I call upon spirits Mary and Elizabeth to focus us and remind us throughout this day that God is always with us. Loving God bless us all this day with the echoes of Elizabeth’s words to Mary, “How does it happen that the mother of my Lord, should come to me?” Make these words our own today God for by your blessing of creation we all carry around in us the gift of your presence. May the story of Mary and Elizabeth remind us of your presence in our lives and give us the strength to give your gift to everyone we encounter today and always. May God bless us all today. Have a great Saturday everyone! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment