Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Daily Thoughts - 06/04/2014



Daily Thoughts:  I have to say that I will be glad when Sunday comes and goes and we are no longer in the Easter Season. I say this not out of disrespect or because I don’t like the Easter Season, I love it but by this point we have heard the Gospel of John especially chapters 14-17 so much that it is a little hard to focus. Throughout these chapters John goes round and round about Jesus’ relationship with the Father and our relationship with him and the Father. Sometimes I just want to say, “Ok, I get it!” I also think John may have been reincarnated in the people who wrote and translated the Roman Missal. If it is not John then it must be somebody who studied under him or a distant relative of him.

However, with my frustrations stated I was thinking very early this morning as I spent time in prayer preparing for mass today that perhaps these chapters in John are really the words of a person in love.

In my teenage and young adult years there were a few times when I was in love. Obviously they didn’t work out but I can still remember the women and how I felt. I can also remember that it was hard to explain my feelings to myself and others. It was hard to talk about my feelings; the words would get all jumbled up. I would repeat them over and over again until I am sure my friends were tired of listening to me. When I would speak about my feelings to the one I loved or tried to explain them to my friends often I didn’t seem to be making much sense.

Perhaps that is my struggle with the words of Jesus in John that we have been listening to throughout the Easter Season. Yes, they are Jesus’ words, but it is John who is trying to communicate them to us. It is John in the writing of the Gospel who is now the person in love. He is a man in love with the Father, a man in love with Jesus, a man in love with us.  Both Jesus and John are trying to explain this love. Jesus to his disciples and John is trying to explain this love to us but in both cases words don’t always come out that clear. They explain this love over and over again, hoping we will understand and hoping that we too will fall in love!

Have a great day everyone and don’t forget to make a joyful noise with your life today!

Daily Prayer: O God, strengthen us with the power to fall in love through the gift of your Spirit in our inner most being. Fill our hearts with your presence and please do not leave us. Help us to grasp how wide and long and high and deep your love is for us. And, above all, enable us to know this love that surpasses all understanding and knowledge so that we may share it with others this day and always. Amen!

A Runners’ Thoughts: Remember running can be a sacred act, sacred time. Sacred is a Latin word sacraficium, meaning to cut up, or sacrifice. If we want our run to be spiritual we need to sacrifice time, energy and comfort. It requires that we face life head on, live wholly in the present, taking on joy and suffering, savoring each emotion, every experience while offering it all to God. (Adapted from Roger Joslin)

Daily Blessing: Wednesday, “Hump Day” greetings and blessings to all! Also Happy National Running Day! If you are so inclined get out a put in a mile or two today!

We continue our retreat here in San Angelo. It seems to be going well As I have the last two days I would ask you to keep the bishop and priests of the Lubbock, TX diocese in your prayers as they journey with me on retreat. And if you get a chance to add a second prayer for the preacher, believe me I could use it!

On a sad note, I received word this morning that Fr. Fidelis Connolly, C.P. died this morning. “Old Fid” as we use to call him was the director of students for many years and he touched the lives of many of us in a very loving and faith filled way as we made our way through formation. He always had a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye. Fr. Fidelis will be greatly missed but he is at peace and offering his wisdom to God now! Please remember Fr. Fidelis and all Passionists in your prayers today and we mourn his loss.

My prayer for all of you this morning is that God will bless you day with energy, enthusiasm, purpose, meaning, grace and much love! Be well and safe in your journeys today and may you be blessed with many encounters of the presence of God. Peace in Christ’s Passion and Joy in the Risen Lord…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment