Friday, June 6, 2014

Daily Thoughts - 06/06/2014



Daily Thoughts: As I was reflecting on the readings this morning getting ready for the closing mass of the retreat two thoughts came to mind.

The first was a quote that I have always liked from Fr. Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, SJ. – “Someday, after mastering the winds, the waves, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love, and then, for a second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.”

And the second is a prayer written by St. Ignatius of Loyola, SJ. – “Take Lord, receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my entire will, all that I have and possess. You have given all to me. To you, O Lord, I return it. All is yours, dispose of it wholly according to your will. Give me only your love and your grace, for this is enough for me.”

Perhaps this is my Jesuit day with these two quotes but in reading the Gospel this morning these words of two great Jesuits came to mind. In the Gospel Jesus asks Peter three times, “Do you love me?” and three times Peter says, “Yes!” Our relationship, our friendship with God centers on love, God’s love for us and our love for God.

This exchange between Jesus and Peter along the shore of the Sea of Galilee after the Resurrection puts an exclamation point of their relationship and sends Peter out into the world to discover the energies of love, to discover fire once again all in the service of God!

Love is only realized, only understood in terms of action. How we live it out determines it power and presence. If Peter loves Jesus then he must live that love out, he must share it with the people of God and so must we!

Have a great day everyone and don’t forget to make a joyful noise as you share your love for God today with others!

Daily Prayer:
Take, Lord, receive all our liberty
Our memory, understanding, Our entire will.

Give us only your love and your grace, that's enough for us
Your love and your grace are enough for us.

Take, Lord, receive all we have and possess.
You have given all to us, now we return it.

Take, Lord, receive, all is yours now
Dispose of it wholly according to your will.
(Adapted from the song Take Lord Receive by Fr. John Foley, SJ)

A Runner’s Thoughts: Remember running is not just conquering, hills, distance, weight, injury, illness or pain. Running is most often conquering ourselves. We can try to do it alone but it is so much easier when we let others journey with us and we are always at our best when we run with God!

Daily Blessing: TGIF everyone! I hope your day is starting out well. The retreat here in San Angelo, TX is coming to an end this morning. It has been a good week but a long one for me. Eleven talks and four homilies is a workout! I don’t think I have another thought left in my brain. But that is the life of an itinerant preacher and I will find another thought to share with those gathered for the retreat as we celebrate the closing mass in a couple of hours.

Again I ask you to keep these good men in your prayers as they return to their parishes hopefully nourished and enlivened with the Spirit of God’s love. If you could also say a little prayer for me that I will catch the Spirit of God’s love myself and give it life on this last morning of retreat. I will be traveling back to New York tomorrow!

May God bless all of you this day with the Spirit of Love and through your work, your travels and your interaction with others may Jesus truly know that “Yes, you do love him!” Blessings on your Friday and may it lead to a restful and peaceful weekend. Peace in Christ’s Passion and Joy in the Risen Lord…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment