Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Daily Thoughts - 06/18/2014



Daily Thoughts: My thoughts today center around two quotes from Thomas Merton. The first is from his book, New Seeds of Contemplation and the second is from the book, Thoughts in Solitude.

“Our vocation is not simply to be, but to work together with God in the creation of our own life, our own identity, our own destiny....To work out our identity in God.” (New Seeds of Contemplation)

“Ask me not where I live or what I like to eat . . . Ask me what I am living for and what I think is keeping me from living fully that.” (Thoughts in Solitude)

I picked these two quotes today because it is the 28th anniversary of my ordination to the priesthood and I am hoping that over my life time especially these last 28 years I have worked with God to find my identity and that I am truly living for Jesus even though at times my humanness, my struggles, my faults and failing get in the way of my friendship with God and in my service to others.

As I celebrate this day, I turn to my good friend, St. Paul, for guidance and strength in the hope that I will always live every aspect of my life in faith, discourse, knowledge, all earnestness, and in the love of God as it is found in our Lord Jesus Christ. And that I will always excel in the gracious act of love that God has given to me by making sure my love for God and others is always genuine.

As I celebrate today I pray for all who have touch my life especially during the last 28 years! Thank you all for helping me be the man of faith, the Passionist and priest I am today even in the midst of my faults and failings. May I always serve you out of God’s love.

Daily Prayer: Loving God, help us to be persuaded today and always that neither death nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, not height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is Christ Jesus our Lord. Amen! (Adapted from St. Paul’s Letter to the Romans 8:38-39)

A Runner’s Thoughts: “Running is real. It’s all joy and woe, hard as diamond. It makes you weary beyond comprehension, but it also makes you free.” (Jesse Owens)

Daily Blessing: Happy Wednesday everyone! I find myself in Maumee, Ohio on my way to the Chicago area. I have a nice restful evening after a long day on the road. I hope your day is going well. If things are not going well today hang in there I pray in hope that they will get better before the end of the day.

A shout out to my brother, Jim, on this his birthday! Happy Birthday, Bro, many blessings today and always. I will be there sometime this afternoon and we will take a little time to celebrate.

I offer my prayers on this anniversary day for everyone. May God’s blessing be upon all of you as you journey through this day, in all that you do and upon all whom you meet. Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment