Friday, July 25, 2014

Daily Thoughts - 07/25/2014



Daily Thoughts: I have to say that today’s first reading on this Feast of St. James from St. Paul (2Cor. 4:7-15) is one of my all-time favorites. Paul uses the image of “earthen vessels” to talk about himself and us in terms of our relationship with God. Paul says we hold the treasure of our faith, the presence of God, in earthen vessels, in other words in us. Now some say Paul us talking about large water jugs, others say he was referring to terracotta lamps, either way it is a striking image. Within the fragility of this human condition we carry the gift of God.

What a wonderful way to think about ourselves. I have often thought about reading this little passage from St. Paul each morning upon getting up, what a way to enter a new day knowing that I carry within me the presence of God. Knowing that I am not perfect, that I am cracked, chipped, scratched, in other words I am human yet I have this wonderful gift within me.

Paul goes on to say life is tough however because of the gift we have within us things will be ok. We will get through the trials and tribulations of life because of the power of God, the friendship of God.

So as we journey through this day let us be reminded that we are earthen vessels, fragile, imperfect, at times struggling but we are also blessed with a great gift within us, the presence, the grace, the love of God. And when we face the struggles, difficulties and challenges that life throws at us the power of this gift within us will see us through.

Happy Feast of St. James everyone!

Daily Prayer:
Loving God we pray:
that through the glorious Apostle, Saint James,
who by reason of his fervent and generous heart was chosen by Jesus
to be witness of Christ’s glory on Mount Tabor, and agony in Gethsemane.
May James, whose very name means one who steps into the shoes of another and one who follows, help us to obtain this day the strength and compassion we need to be followers of Jesus. May St. James be our inspiration today and we step into the shoes of Jesus and bring the gift, the treasure of God to all we meet. Amen.

A Runner’s Thoughts: Two thoughts for runners today… “Believe me, the reward is not so great without the struggle.” (Wilma Rudolph) and “Every day, I stop halfway through my run for five minutes, look around, and enjoy the surroundings. I'm reminded of why I do this and why I love it so much.” (Anita Ortiz) Both of these reflections can also be applied to our journey through life and people of faith!

Daily Blessing: TGIF everyone and Happy Feast of St. James especially to all those with the name James! I hope your day has started off well and that it will be blessed in a special way as you journey through it. If you are finding life a struggle today please know as always you are in my prayers and I will say a special prayer that it gets at least a little better as the day goes on.

The weather is beautiful here in northeastern Pennsylvania. It looks to be a beautiful day on this the ninth day of the novena here at St. Ann’s. We will be finishing up tomorrow with the feast day and I will be heading back to New York on Sunday morning. Once home I will begin preparations for my journey to Lourdes which will begin on August 4th. It has been a wonderful novena, very spirit filled yet I have to say it will be nice to finish tomorrow. I hope you are enjoying good weather wherever you are and that today will be a day to enjoy!

Have a great day and once again may God bless you with a strong and joy filled faith so that you will always believe in the treasure that you carry within you and that you are! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment