Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Daily Thoughts - 01/07/2015



Daily Thoughts: After hearing praying with today’s readings I might ask the question, "What do I most fear?" In answering this question I might come up with many examples of things that might cause me to fear. I might fear the future because of the state of the world at this time and all the violence that seems to take place. Perhaps I fear the future of our Church because of all the things that have happened over the last 15 or 20 years. Maybe as a priest and a religious I am afraid of the future of religious life and priesthood. There are many things to fear. However, the question is what do I fear most at this moment of my life? As I said this question is based on the readings today, they both deal with fear. In the first reading, (1 John 4:11-18), John talks about perfect love casting out fear and in the Gospel, (Mark 6:45-52), Jesus tells the disciples to have courage and not fear. Yet fear always seems to be a part of life.

I know for myself, fear has always raised its ugly head. I remember my mother talking about the time in her life just before I was born, when she was carrying me. She said that was a time when she struggled with fear. Mom, my father and my sister had just move back to the Pittsburgh area into a new home. It was in a new subdivision about 15 miles outside of Pittsburgh, only a few homes were built and there were very few people in the neighborhood. She had no phone for a while, no car and spent a good portion of the day lone with my sister who was about 5 years old. Mom always said it was a fearful time in her life. I have often wondered if, I the baby in her womb was affected by that time of fear in her life, because once I came into the world it seemed I was afraid of everything including my own shadow!

However, the question I asked at the beginning of this reflection gives me cause to pause and think, "What am I most afraid of?" There are many things I am afraid of but I have come, over the last few years, to realize that I am most afraid of love, not being loved, not finding love. I think it is because I realize that with love fear would not be a problem, yet fear is a problem for me. I think it is because I struggle with love.

Both Jesus and John tell us that today, if we love, if we allow ourselves to be loved, especially by God then fear will never hurt us, because love casts out fear. With love there is no room for fear without love fear takes up all the room!

No matter what life throws at us, no matter what changes take place in religious life, the church, culture, society, no matter what we lose or struggle with in life, if we let love in, if we value the presence of love, if we let ourselves love and be loved fear has no chance, no room!

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

Daily Prayer: O God, giver of all good gifts, pour into our hearts the brilliant light of your perfect love so that we may see, feel, embrace and welcome the gift of love into our lives as it comes to us from you and others. Loving God, give us strength and helps us to have hearts that are open so that we will always be ready and willing to love and be loved. Grant us a lasting peace made possible by your love which casts out all fear. Amen!

A Runner's Thoughts: Run without fear today, breathe, run and permit the spirit of God's loving presence to be in each stride you take!

Daily Blessing: Happy Hump Day everyone! It is certainly cold today and the forecast is for things to get even colder! I long for the warmth of spring and summer. I know they are a long way of but I live in the hope of their coming one day!

I simply pray for God’s blessings today on all of us. May we all have a day blessed and graced without fear because it is touch by much love! Peace in Christ's Passion...Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment