Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Daily Thoughts - 08/12/2015



Daily Thoughts: “For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” (Matt. 18:20) Perhaps said a little differently by Dietrich Bonhoeffer, “Where a people prays, there is the church; and where the church is; there is never loneliness.”

The focus of the Gospel today (Matt. 18: 15-20) is church. It is a community gathered in God’s presence. In that presence we can seek help, we can deal with struggles, we can get to the truth. In that presence we are never along.

While some might hear the word church and think building or institution, church is really people, Church is community. Church is the presence of God made visible by the gathering of two or three in God’s name!

Have a great day everyone.

Daily Prayer:
Loving God, for this reason we come before you, from whom every family in heaven and on earth receives its name. We pray that out of your glorious riches you will strengthen us with power through your Spirit in our inner most being, so that Christ may dwell in our hearts through faith. And we pray that we, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge.

Now to you, our God, who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to your power that is at work within us, to you, our God, be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. (Adapted from the words of St. Paul Letter to the Ephesians)

A Runner’s Thoughts: “Poetry, music, forests, oceans, solitude, [prayer]--they were what developed enormous spiritual strength. I came to realize that spirit, as much or more than physical conditioning, had to be stored up before a race.” (Herb Elliott) And we might add after “race” and “the living of life!”

Daily Blessing: Wednesday blessings and greetings to all! I hope your Wednesday has started out well. It is a beautiful day here in Pelham. Much better than yesterday in many respects!

I returned home yesterday around 1 pm thinking I would do my laundry, get caught up on the mail, repack for my journey to Long Beach this afternoon and get a nice dinner. As I opened the door from the garage to the house I heard the sound of water running. When I looked down the steps to the basement I saw water running. By the time I got to the shut off valve for the water I was shin deep in water. I pipe on the hot water heater had broken and there was water spraying out everywhere. I go the water stopped. Started a portable sump pump and call the plumber. Luckily he got here within the hour and by 5 pm I had a new hot water heater installed. The drain in the basement was open and the water has receded. I spent me evening and this morning cleaning up and throwing out all the things that got destroyed by the water.

The spraying water hit all the electrical panels and the boiler so Verizon is coming tomorrow because we have no TV, phone or internet. The boiler people will come in a week or so to see what damage has been done there and I am not headed to Long Beach today I will go on Friday. So you might say life the last 24 hours has been very interesting. I hope you yesterday and today is much different from mine!

Enjoy your day wherever you are and in whatever you are doing. And if things aren’t going so well today remember this, “every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person and a beautiful thing” (Mother Teresa). So just smile and share the gift you are. May God bless you with a day filled with much joy, grace and God’s unconditional love. And if you get a chance please day a prayer for the drying of wet basements and the fixing of TV’s! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment