Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Daily Thoughts - 10/07/2015



Daily Thoughts: The passage we find in Luke’s Gospel today (Luke 11:1-4) always causes me to remember my father and the morning after my ordination day. The morning after my ordination I was to celebrate mass with my family. It would be my very first mass!

I had not looked at the readings because of all the busyness leading up to my ordination day, so early that morning now some 29 plus years ago, I awakened and wandered down the hall to the retreat house chapel to look at the readings and prepared for my first mass. When I got to the Gospel I could not believe what I read. It was Matthew version of today’s Gospel about Jesus teaching his disciples to pray, specifically to pray the Our Father. I put the book down and tears welled up in my eyes and I just sat there for some time unable to prepare any more.

For you see the Our Father was one of the last prayers I prayed with my “Abba,” my dad, my father, before he died some four years before. It was a December night and I was in my father’s hospital room late at night and as I was about to leave he asked me to pray with him. I was more than happy to do so and I asked him what prayer he wanted to pray and he said, “The Our Father.”

I began to say the words and notice that my dad was not praying so I stopped and asked what was wrong. Dad said, “I don’t remember the words.” His illness had begun to affect his mind. So I said, “No problem” and suggested that I say a few words of the prayer and that he repeat them after me. Do you know how hard it is to say the Our Father when you have to stop and think about what you are saying? Well, we got through the prayer and dad became very peaceful and for the most part remained peaceful over the last few days of his life. I have always remembered that moment.

I had wanted my dad to see me ordained but that was not to be but on that Thursday morning I realized that he was with me and had been with me all along. I have never prayed the Our Father at mass, during the rosary or at any other time and not thought about that moment. What power there is in this simple prayer, what a gift this simple prayer is to all who pray it.

I would invite you at some moment today to pause and slowly, deliberately pray the Our Father. Listen to the words. Realize what God offers you through the words of this simple prayer and what God asks of you.

Just a little thought about the Our Father, Jesus actually uses the word, Abba, which if translated literally would be “daddy or dad.” I wish that the first translators of the prayer had used the informal rather than the formal it might have made a difference in how we think about this simple prayer today. It certain would have made the prayer more intimate!

Before I conclude my musings today I would like to mention that today is the Memorial of Our Lady of the Rosary. I would have to say that I have never been a big fan of the rosary mainly because of the communal experiences that I have had with it. People try to out yell others, some praying fast others slow, adding prayer after prayer rather than holding to the simplicity of the rosary.

In August of 2014 I had the great gift of traveling to Lourdes and praying the rosary each evening I was there in the candle light procession. It was an amazing experience even though it was in many different languages. I walked away from that experience with a greater appreciation for the rosary and I realized that the simple prayers of the rosary, the Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory be… have often kept me grounded and on the right path.

The rosary is often the formal prayer that I pray when running because of its simplicity and power. So perhaps if you have the time today a simple rosary of  Our Father, ten Hail Marys and one Glory Be and prayed in this sequence five times might just enliven your journey through life today!

Have a great Wednesday everyone and don’t forget to make a joyful noise with your life today!

Daily Prayer:
Abba, who art in heaven hallowed be your name; your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

You might also want to say ten Hail Marys and one Glory be along with your Our Father today…just a thought.

A Runner’s Thoughts: “Not just exercise, but a way to get in touch with and reclaim myself in an often fragmenting world, running also serves as a powerful antidote to clinical depression, a metaphor for the creative process, and, in its most profound moments, a spiritual practice.”  (Alison Townsend)  Be spiritual today go for a run!

Daily Blessings: It is Wednesday everyone also known as “Hump Day,” the midpoint of the work week so greetings and blessings to al! I hope your week is going well and that your day has started off well and that a smile is on your face helping you to bring a little positive and joyful energy to your Wednesday. We have early morning clouds here in Pelham today but I think it is supposed to turn sunny before the day is over. Once again there is a chill in the air which has gotten me moving and put a smile on my face!

I continue to ask for your prayers for the Synod on the family taking place in Rome these days. Let us pray that all who are involved will be open to the gift and movement of the Holy Spirit during these important days of discussion, reflection and prayer. As Pope Francis said in his opening homily may they be bridges not road blocks for the Church.

My prayer for all of you today is that the peace of God which is beyond all understanding will keep your hearts, minds, souls and spirits in the wisdom and love of God today and always. Have a great Wednesday everyone!  Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment