Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Daily Thoughts - 11/10/2015



Daily Thoughts: There is a quote from St. John of Damascus that goes, “What is more precious than to be in the hands of God? God is Life and Light, and those who are in God’s hands are life and light.” There is something very beautiful and comforting about these words as there is about the words in the Book of Wisdom (Wisdom 2:23-3:9) our first reading today.

We most often hear this reading or at least part of it at a funeral mass. I always find it comforting to think that the person that I have come to remember is now in the hands of God and that they are at peace. I think back to my mother’s death and the years of struggle that proceeded that moment. She struggle with dementia for over ten years. She was not herself.  She was not the woman who brought me into the world or raised me to be the man I am today. At times she did not know me or anyone else in the family. Her life memories were all jumbled up somewhere in her brain. The expressions on her face were often those of confusion and struggle but at the moment that I celebrated her funeral mass I was comforted by the fact that she was now with God, she was now at peace!

The words of the Book of Wisdom and St. John of Damascus comfort us today especially as we think of those important people in our life that we have lost.  Yet, Jesus, in the Gospel (Luke 17:7-10), reminds us that throughout our life good works are expected of us. Living life in relationship to God is what is expected of us. We are not special because we do good things; we are simply God servants, no more no less. The gift of being at peace, the gift of being in God’s hands, the gift of being life and light are just that gifts given us by God.

We should not expect praise and honor because we live a life of faith. It is expected of us. Yet in living a life of faith we are comforted by the end of the journey when God, who is Life and Light, will hold us in peace!

Have a great day everyone!

Daily Prayer:
Day by day
Oh Loving God,
Three things we pray
To see you more clearly
To Love you more dearly
And to Follow you more nearly
Day by day – Amen!
(Adapted from the Song: Day By Day from Godspell)

A Runner’s Thoughts: “Life is for participating, not for spectating.” (Kathrine Switzer) The same is true about faith, thus if we say we believe, we have faith then we need to be participating not spectating. So get out there and be a person of faith today – and maybe run a little too!

Daily Blessing: Tuesday greetings and blessings to all! I hope your day has started off well? Here in Pelham we have seen to be in for a day of rain. The temperature is still rather mild for this point in November but no sun today and this is ok because we do need some of the wet stuff and I prefer rain to snow! If you are not in the greater New York area may your day be a little sunnier than mine.

I continue my week of paperwork and chores around the house. Yesterday I added electrical work to my growing resume as the house maintenance person. I changed a light switch without causing more damage and I lived to tell about it and I only had to make two trips to Home Depot. However my hair is now frizzy! And you might think life is dull for a preacher on the run.

My pray of bless for today – Loving God bless us – Bless us and keep us safe. Let your face shine upon us and show us your compassion and mercy especially in those moments when we may struggle. May your love and peace embrace us, all we meet and especially those we love. May our journeys be safe and may we find our way home at some point today to enjoy your gift family and rest. Amen! Blessings to all and enjoy your day! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment