Monday, January 4, 2016

Daily Thoughts - 01/04/2016



Daily Thoughts: St. John in the first reading today makes it sound so simple. If we believe we will know what is of God and what is not. Sure when someone speaks against Jesus it is a sure sign that we should not follow in that direction, however there are many voices, many spirits out there that claim to be followers of Jesus yet I am not always sure their way is the way to go.

John reminds us we need to believe in the name of Jesus and love one another, yet often the very people who ask us to believe in the name of Jesus do not seem to love others. What should we think? What should we believe? It doesn't always seem clear cut. Certainly John did not live in this age of mass communication, of social media. The challenge of today is how to believe; how do we test the spirits to see whether they belong to God?

To be honest with you I do not have an answer, for me it is a work in progress. I listen, I digest, I compare and I pray and hope that I make the right choice, the right decision. I pray and hope that I am walking with God. One of my criteria for testing the spirits of today comes from the Gospel today, from the life of Jesus. The criteria that I place on today's spirits is how compassionate are they. Jesus' life was about compassion for others. I test the spirits of today with a sense of how compassionate are they? How caring for others are they? How willing are they to provide hope in a troubled world? How willing are they to unite not divide people? It is not always easy to make the call, to know for sure, but the spirits of today must past the Jesus test, they must be spirits that proclaim the "Good News!"

Have a great Monday everyone and stay warm!

Daily Prayer: Merciful God, help us to become images of your light for all, especially those caught in the darkness of injustice and violence. May we always live in your spirit so that we too, like Jesus, might bring mercy, compassion, healing and hope to a world caught in the grip of the spirits of fear, hatred, anger, violence and injustice! Amen!

A Runner's Thought: As you run look for good in the world that you pass by, look for good in the people you encounter, sense the good in you and know you do not run alone!


Daily Blessing: Monday greetings and blessings to all! To all who find strength and draw upon the spirit of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton – Happy Feast Day!

We enter the first full week of work in a few so I hope you are rested, refreshed and ready to take on what life has in store for you this week. To make things a little less inviting at least here in the northeast the cold weather is finally upon us and it seems that the next couple of days will be the coldest so far this winter! So bundle up, stay warm and think spring!

In couple of hours I will be heading to Baltimore, MD where I will begin a retreat for pre-theology seminarians. It will be a weeklong retreat from this evening until Friday afternoon. I would ask you to keep these young men in your prayers this week and if you could add an extra prayer for their preacher it would be greatly appreciated!

I pray for God’s blessing upon all of us today that we will have a blessed and holy day and that we will encounter only the Spirit of God in our work, our travels and our living of life! Peace in Christ's Passion...Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment