Thursday, June 16, 2016

Daily Thoughts - 06/16/2016

Daily Thoughts:  Each time I encounter today’s Gospel, Jesus teaching the disciples to pray the Our Father I can feel the emotions well up within me. For you see I have a special memory that centers on this prayer. The Our Father was one of the last prayers I prayed with my father before he died 34 and a half years ago. It was a December night in 1982, I was in my father’s hospital room late that night and as I was about to leave he asked me to pray with him. I was more than happy to do so and I asked him what prayer he wanted to pray and he said, “The Our Father.”

I began to say the words and notice that my dad was not praying so I stopped and asked what was wrong. Dad said, “I don’t remember the words.” His illness had begun to affect his mind. So I said, “No problem” and suggested that I say a few words of the prayer and that he repeat them after me. Do you know how hard it is to say the Our Father when you have to stop and think about what you are saying? Well, we got through the prayer and dad became very peaceful and for the most part remained peaceful over the last few weeks of his life. I have always remembered that moment.

I have never prayed the Our Father at mass, during the rosary or at any other time and not thought about that moment. What power there is in this simple prayer, what a gift this simple prayer is to all who pray it.

I would invite you at some moment today to pause and slowly, deliberately pray the Our Father. Listen to the words. Realize what God offers you through the words of this simple prayer and what God asks of you.

By the way thanks Dad! Have a great Thursday everyone!

Daily Prayer: Our Father, who art in heaven hallowed be Thy Name; Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

A Runner’s Thoughts: “I run because long after my footprints fade away, maybe I will have inspired a few to reject the easy path, hit the trails, put one foot in front of the other, and come to the same conclusion I did: I run because it always takes me where I want to go.” (Dean Karnazes)

Daily Blessing: Thursday greetings and blessings to everyone! I am getting ready to begin our fifth day of retreat with the sisters here in Chardon, Ohio. In a little while I will head to breakfast and then I will have a little time before the morning conference. The retreat seems to be going well, the sisters have a good spirit about them. Please keep the sisters who are on retreat in your prayers today and if you could say an extra prayer for the preacher it would be greatly appreciated!

I hope your day has started off well. The weather people are calling for thunderstorms today and the humidity has certainly gone up and I guess we are in for some rain along the way today. As I sit here writing this reflection the sun is rising and at least at the start it looks to be a beautiful day. I am hoping the storms will hold off enough for me to get a run in. Whatever the weather I hope your day is filled with the presence of God and your journey through it is guided by God’s grace.

My prayer of blessing for you today is that you will have a great day and that you know that all of you continue to be in my prayers. May God’s blessings be upon your work, your travel, your encounters with others, your struggling moments, your smiling moments and upon all that you do and all whom you meet…Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment