Saturday, June 25, 2016

Daily Thoughts - 06/25/2016

Daily Thoughts: One of my many struggles with the revised Roman Missal has been with a phrase that we hear in today’s Gospel, “Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof….” I have just found this phrase a struggle each time I say it just before receiving communion. I keep wanting to say, “into my heart,” rather than “under my roof.”

The centurion, the one who expresses these words in our Gospel, is one who is used to having power and commanding others.  We encounter this in his own words to Jesus, “And I say to one, 'Go,' and he goes; and to another, 'Come here,' and he comes; and to my slave, 'Do this,' and he does it.”  And yet, he recognizes that his own power is nothing compared to that of Jesus.  How often do we find ourselves wanting to control a situation or tell God how to do something?  It sometimes takes us a while before we step back and realize that we are not in control.  Once we remember that we are not in control can often be quite liberating.  Placing our trust and faith in God over and over again is a part of any spiritual journey. It is the letting go and letting God.

What is powerful about our Gospel today is the absolute faith with which the centurion approaches Jesus on behalf of his servant.  He does not doubt that Jesus’ words alone can heal his servant, even without a physical encounter with Jesus.  Each time we receive the Eucharist, we, unworthy as we are, are deemed worthy for a physical encounter with Christ.  What an awesome and wonderful thought!  And yet often the reality of Christ within us, under our roofs, in our hearts is very challenging to grasp and a reality that we don’t always approach with the faith and trust of the centurion. 

Like the centurion, we have the opportunity to be transformed with each encounter with Christ, whether it is through prayer or meditation, through interactions with others in our daily lives, or through receiving Christ in the Eucharist.

As we journey through this day let us pray that we can approach Jesus with the same humility and faith that the centurion does. Let us invite Jesus into our hearts and our homes, under our roofs, and allow Him to transform us as we journey in faith.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

Daily Prayer: Lord, grant that I may always allow myself to be guided by you, always follow your plains, and perfectly accomplish your holy will. Grant that in all things, great and small, today and all the days of my life, I may do whatever you require of me. Help me to respond to the slightest prompting of your grace, so that I may be your trustworthy instrument for your honor. May your will be done in time and eternity by me, in me, and through me. Amen. (Prayer by St. Teresa of Avila)

A Runner’s Thoughts: “The human spirit is indomitable. No one can ever say you must not run faster than this or jump higher than that. There will never be a time when the human spirit will not be able to better existing records.” (Roger Bannister)

Daily Blessing: Saturday greetings and blessings to all. I hope your Saturday has started off well and that it will only get better as you make your way through it. We are to have a sunny and hot day here in Covington, KY. Hopefully the weather where you are is helping to make your day a good one.

This is the last full day of retreat here at St. Joseph Heights the Provincial Center for the Sisters of Notre Dame of Covington. I think it has been a good retreat. Many of the sisters on retreat have share their stories, enthusiasm and their faith with me this week. Please continue to keep the sisters in your prayers and if you could offer an extra prayer for their preacher it would be greatly appreciated.

Well my friends, I pray that God will bless your day. May you be gifted and blessed with smiles, laughter, family, friends, fun and peace today! Be safe out there if you are traveling!  Have a great day and may you be blessed with God’s joy in whatever you do and wherever you go. May God’s joy be found in the people you meet today and within you! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment