Sunday, June 19, 2016

Daily Thoughts - 06/19/2016

Daily Thoughts: We might say that all the readings today tell us a little something about who Jesus is. The reading from the Book of Zechariah points us in the direction of Jesus who will be crucified and the great mourning that will result.  The readings from Paul’s Letter to the Galatians and Luke’s Gospel tell us that is Jesus the Christ, the anointed one.

Throughout our life we all have had people, like teachers and parents, theologians and scripture scholars who have told us who they think Jesus is.  It is an ongoing quest in our life of faith to come to an understanding of who Jesus was and is. Perhaps the most important aspect or thought we encounter in the Gospel today is that we are invited by Jesus to say who we think Jesus is.  You might say that Jesus is giving us the opportunity to find our voice.  To name and realize just how we experience Jesus in our life.

Often I have reflected on this Gospel reading with a sense of closeness to Jesus. I know scripture scholars will disagree with me but when Jesus asks, “Who do the crowds say that I am?” I feel a kinship to Jesus. I sense his humanness. There have always been moments when I have wanted to know what people think. What are they saying about me? How do they see me? The scholars will say that this has nothing to do with Jesus wondering what people think. But for me this passage always connects me in a human way with Jesus.

To take it a step further it gives me pause to consider the place of Jesus in my own life. Who do I say that Jesus is? What place does he take in my life? What role does he play in my life? Important questions to ask from time to time in this journey of life. How do I really see Jesus? In what ways do I let him enter my life? How often do I recognize what he has done for me? How often do I recognize his love for me?

As the summer gets ready to begin it might be a good time to pause in the midst of this journey of life and have a conversation with Jesus. To him ask these same questions he asked his disciples many years ago and challenge ourselves to look into our hearts and answer like Peter, you are the Christ of God. You are a friend who loves us very much!

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Daily Prayer: God of life, there are days when the burdens we carry chafe our shoulders and wear us down; when the road seems dreary and endless, the skies gray and threatening; when our lives have no music in them and our hearts are lonely, and our souls have lost their courage. Flood the path with light, we ask you; turn our eyes to where the skies are full of promise. Amen. (Prayer by St. Augustine of Hippo)

A Runner’s Thoughts: “Running is elementary. It is elegant in its simplicity.” (John Bingham)

Daily Blessing: Sunday greetings and blessings to all and Happy Father’s Day to all fathers! It looks to be another beautiful day here in Chardon. I am making my final preparations for mass which will be at 10:30 this morning. It will be the community mass for all the sisters here at the Provincial Center and the closing mass of the retreat. After mass I will hit the road for Covington, Kentucky where I will begin a retreat for another province of Sisters of Notre Dame this evening at 7 pm. They have told me Covington is about a four-and-a-half-hour drive so I am hoping to leave here around noon. It will be a busy day for me.

I hope your Sunday is a little less busy than mine. I hope you will get a chance to enjoy the gift of this day in some way that will renew and refresh you. And please remember to give God a little time today.

Let me take a moment to thank all of you for your good wishes yesterday on my 30th anniversary of ordination. I appreciated the good and kind words. As I wrote to my classmates of 30 plus years, sometimes it seems like only yesterday but other times it seems like a million years. The journey of life with its ups and downs. All I can say is that it is a new day, another opportunity to know that things are not as they should be and yet to care for them the way they are. Again thanks everyone!

My prayer of blessing today is that you will be blessed with the spirit of faith to help you on this journey of life. May you be blessed with the spirit of hope to get you through the rough times. May you be blessed with the spirit of love to remind you in whose image and likeness you are created in, how special you are and that you are never alone. As you journey through this day may you know that Jesus is with you always and will never leave you to face your struggles alone! Father’s Day blessings to all fathers and Sunday blessings to all! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment