Monday, June 27, 2016

Daily Thoughts - 06/27/2016

Daily Thoughts: I think today’s Gospel (Matthew 8:18-22) can be reduced to two words, essentials and incidentals. Jesus seems to be saying that there are essential things in life and there are incidental things in life and we have to figure out which are which. To follow Jesus means that we invest in the essentials and we let go of the incidentals, however this is not always easy. What is an incidental for Jesus a lot of the time is an essential for us.

Now we are never really sure what the scribes are up to, often they seem to spend their time trying to antagonize Jesus. Are Jesus’ answers in the Gospel today in response to an antagonist or words for all of us to live by? I vote that they are words for all of us to live by even though they might be difficult.

Making a commitment to follow Jesus involves letting go. The Gospel today gives us a perfect example of what it takes to let go. Jesus basically says, “If you are going to follow me it’s now or never!” He doesn’t invite us follow tomorrow, in a couple of weeks or a year from now—we are invite today…Now! Following Jesus is not easy, especially when it’s not on our terms. Living this life is about battling our own needs, wants and desires every day. As Jesus say, following him means “Picking our cross and following each day!”

A question for today might be what do we think are the important things in life and are we willing if necessary to let them go to follow Jesus?

Have a great Monday everyone!

Daily Prayer: O Lord our God, grant us grace to desire you with a whole heart, so desiring you we may seek you with a whole heart and find you; and so finding you, may we love you; and loving you, may we hate those sins which separate us from you, for the sake of Jesus. Amen (A Prayer by St. Anselm of Canterbury)

A Runner’s Thoughts: I know that when I finish strong, I’m cultivating and honoring the love and commitments in my life. As a runner, it’s time to apply that hard-earned wisdom to everything I do.” (Kristin Armstrong)

Daily Blessing: Monday greetings and blessings to all. I am sorry my posting is a little late today but I did not get home until 11:30 pm last night. It was a twelve-hour drive and after unpacking I went to bed and decided to take a little sleep in today.

I trust your Sunday was a little more enjoyable than mine. The weather at least was beautiful as I crossed Ohio, Pennsylvania and New Jersey which made the drive a little easier. If you did not have a good weekend, I pray that as we begin this new week things will get better!

Well we find ourselves journeying through the last days of June. My how time flies when you are having fun, sometimes I would just like to slow time down so I can fully enjoy the moment. But onward we journey so I guess it is up to me to stop and smell the flowers every once in a while. I will not be able to do that for a while as my calendar is full for the next few months!

Well it is nice to be home but now I have a lot of catch-up to do being away for three weeks. Once I get my feet on the ground this morning it will be off to the Wartburg Home for mass at 11 am and then on to The Sunday Mass office where I need to begin the process of getting settled in my new office and working on the move to our new Sunday Mass site. Lots to do!

My prayer of blessing for all of you today is that this new works week, or vacation week will be blessed with the rich presence of God in your life. May you find that presence in the people you meet, in the places you go, in the experience you and most importantly within yourself. Many blessings today, have a great day and please know my prayers go with you. Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment