Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Daily Thoughts - 06/28/2016

Daily Thoughts: Calming the storm. We have all been there; things are going along just fine. Sure there are a few bumps in the road but that is to be expected in the living of life but we have got things under control. Then it happens, all hell breaks loose and we are hanging on for dear life. All our planning, all our preparations, all our good intentions seem to go right out the window. We are now hanging on by our finger tips any moment life will come crashing down on us. We followed our plan. We did the right things. Why is this happening to us? Our life is simply out of control and we are doomed!

“Why are you terrified, O you of little faith?” Why are we terrified? Have we lost faith? Have we lost faith in God, faith in others, faith in ourselves? Have we forgotten all the hard work we have put into life? Are we unwilling to trust ourselves any more just because a storm has entered our life? Are we really that fragile? Have we forgotten to trust who has brought us to this moment?

Storms in life are fearful moments. They seem to take control away from us, if we really ever had it. They bring to the surface all kinds of doubt from the dark reaches of our hearts. They scare us and sometimes make us think the worst. They take us out of our comfort zone. Yet, we are reminded today that no matter what, we never face the storms of life alone. Paraphrasing the words of Thomas Merton’s famous prayer, “We should not fear because God is always with us and will never leave us to face our storms alone.”

On this lazy summer day whether we find ourselves in the midst of a calm day, looking at a horizon full of storm clouds or right in the middle of an all-out storm, let us have faith in God, faith in those important in our life and faith in ourselves so that no matter what this day brings our faith will see us through.

Have a great Tuesday everyone!

Daily Prayer: My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it. Therefore, I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone. (Thomas Merton, Thoughts in Solitude)

A Runner’s Thoughts: I have two thoughts for you today… Remember that if we are meditative runners, if we are runners at prayer then with each run we are fortunate to have found a way to refreshes not only our bodies but also our spirits. You might say with each run we give ourselves the change to be born again in friendship with God! (Adapted from Roger Joslin – Running the Spiritual Path) – “You only ever grow as a human being if you're outside your comfort zone.” (Percy Cerutty)

Daily Blessing: Tuesday greetings and blessings to all! We find ourselves journeying through these last days of June. It seems like only yesterday that we were battling ice, snow and the cold of winter, but life keeps moving and today we find ourselves in the midst of summer.

Another busy day for me as I head to the dentist later this morning and then on to my new office and the other focus of my life these days The Sunday Mass. Even though the summer is supposed to be slow with our move to a new site and all that goes along with a move things are busy and I need to get them done before I hit the road again. So no rest for the weary!

My prayers are with all of you today hoping that you will have a good day rich in the many gifts of summer and the presence of God. Have a great day everyone wherever you are. Blessings upon your work, your ministry, your experiences, those whom you encounter, those whom you love and especially upon you! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment