Monday, July 18, 2016

Daily Thoughts - 07/18/2016

Daily Thoughts: “There is something greater than [Jonah and] Solomon here.” Today in the Gospel we once again find the scribes and Pharisees seeking more from Jesus. They want a sign. We can hear the frustration in Jesus’ words as he tells them that the only sign they will get is the sign of Jonah.

If I had been in Jesus’ shoes I might not have been so patient. I might have said, “Come on guys there are signs all around you. Every day I am preaching healing, forgiving, raising people from the dead, turning water into wine what more do you want! If you don’t realize who I am and what I am about by now I don’t know what else I can do.”

Our Gospel while addressed to the scribes and Pharisees many years ago is also addressed to us. On any given day we are just like them asking God for a sign. We want God to assure us that he is with us and that we are on the right path. We want to see, hear, taste, smell and touch God because if we don’t then it seems impossible to believe. Yet, like the scribes and Pharisees we miss the point the signs of God are all around us. We are reminded time and time again of God’s love for us in creation, in caring family and friends that are a part of lives, in the gift of the Eucharist, the acts of kindness, care and concern that touch our lives each day and the crucifix on the wall which reminds us of God’s greatest act of love. Yes, there is something greater than Jonah and Solomon in our life every day.

Each morning that we arise and look in the mirror we are reminded that there is something greater in our life – it is the continuing presence of God. We just have to stop, listen, look around and be attentive to life and we will see, taste, smell, hear and touch God.

Perhaps as we journey through this day our prayer might be – “Lord, I believe help my unbelief.”  Have a great Monday everyone!

Daily Prayer: Loving God, strengthen us with the grace of your Holy Spirit and give your peace to our souls that we may be free from all needless anxiety, apprehension, and worry. Help us to desire always that which is pleasing and acceptable to you, so that your will may be our will. Amen.

A Runner’s Thoughts: “If you need help getting motivated, turn to fellow runners. Often, they have been there, done that and can help you move along.” (Hal Higdon) So to in the spiritual life…If you need help or motivation in prayer turn to a fellow traveler in faith because often they have been there and done that and are more than willing to help you on your journey of faith. We are all in this together whether we are running and believing.

Daily Blessing: Monday blessings and greetings to everyone! I am back in Pelham after a long day’s journey into the night and the early hours of the morning. I arrived home this morning at 2:30 am. It was a very short night of sleep and in about an hour I will head to the office. I am moving kind of slow this morning and I have a feeling this will be a long day. But the gift of my nephew’s wedding and my great nephew’s baptism was well worth the tired Monday that I will have!

I hope your Monday has started off a little better than mind and that you are well rested and ready to meet the day. It certainly looks like a beautiful day out there though I think here in the New York area it is going to be hot and humid. Perhaps it is a little cooler by you!

I would like to send a special shout out to my little grandniece Natalie Ann who celebrates her second birthday today. Happy Birthday Little One! Many blessings today and always. Have a safe travel day and a great birthday day!

As seems to be a standard part of my daily prayer and blessing these days we once again pause to remember those touched by tragedy. I pray today for the police officers killed and wounded in Baton Rouge over the weekend. I pray for healing for those wounded and for peace for the families and friend of those killed. May God hold them now in his eternal hands. And I continue to pray for an end to this violence and hate. We need Lord to find your peace!

My prayer of blessing today is that this will be a good day and the beginning of a good week for you wherever you are and whatever you are and will be doing. May you find some time to enjoy the gift of God’s creation and may whatever challenges you face be solved quickly and in a positive way. Enjoy your day and blessings to all! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment